NFER Tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Blissot

NFER Tests

Post by Blissot »

Hi can anyone help. The grammar school I want my daughter to go to in Lincolnshire uses NFER. I have found out that there is only 4 VR and NVR practice tests for NFER. Can anyone tell me what other practice papers/workbooks could be used which mirrors the NFER format of questioning. Sorry to sound clueless but it is all new to me and I beginning to panic (practice test in July real test September) :shock:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello,

The Lincolnshire Verbal reasoning tests by NFER contain more question types than the pack of test papers you can buy. Most of them can be covered by practising with the IPS papers - there is a useful "Verbal Reasoning Method and Technique" book which gives a "how to do" for most of the question types and they also publish a book of 10 half hour VR practice papers and another book of Additional Practice Questions. The AFN books of Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers are also useful (perhaps a little bit easier than NFER). Also the Susan Daughtrey "Bright Sparks" Practice papers are good. The remaining types which occasionally come up are covered in the other Susan Daughtrey books "Verbal Reasoning Technique and Practice" 1-4., but these books also cover quite a few types which do not seem to come up.

At this stage it might be good to use some of the computer tests from this site - the one by the Tutors is probably most appropriate.

You need to know that Lincs tests are Standard format not multi-choice and therefore you get less time to answer the questions. The VR is 100 questions in 50 minutes.

All the above books are available on this site from the bookshop and usually from local bookshops as well.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Forgot the Tutors Papers which are available on this site.
Ray O

Lincs Format

Post by Ray O »

Can you confirm Lincs does not use multi-choice? I was told they do.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Lincolnshire tests are standard format (at least they always have been ). This means that the answers are entered on the actual paper. In multiple choice exams the answers are marked on a separate answer sheet. There is generally more time allowed for multiple choice tests because of the extra time involved in transferring the answer to a different sheet of paper. I think sometimes people get confused because in the NVR paper and also for some of the VR questions there is a choice of different answers to make - but they are marked on the actual question sheet so the format is still standard rather than multiple choice.
Ray O

Lincs test format

Post by Ray O »

Thanks Alex. We are moving up to Lincs and we checked with Sleaford Girls and they stated on the phone that the test would be multi-choice; so I went out and bought the multi-choice test papers!

I'll call the school on Monday to double check and I'll post the response.
SJ

Re: Lincs test format

Post by SJ »

Ray O wrote: I'll call the school on Monday to double check and I'll post the response.
Ray did you check with the school because this information could be useful for others if the format has changed. As Alex said the Lincolnshire 11+ has been standard format in the past and was so last year?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

If the VR tests are standard form then papers covering the 21 types will not be enough, other types are also set as indicated by Alex, see the following thread from the Lincs section [last year]

viewtopic.php?p=5524#5524

Patricia
Ray O

Lincs Format

Post by Ray O »

SJ and Alex

I checked with Grantham Girls and they stated 'standard format'. However, the Head's PA at Slaeford was very hesitant and concluded she thought it was multiple choice. It was this same opinion that led me to believe Lincs was multi choice a few weeks ago.

So, I now firmly believe that Links is (still) standard format and I hope everyone who consults with Sleaford will also read this thread!!
SJ

Post by SJ »

Thanks Ray, although my son sat the 11+ last year I felt that it was an interesting point for those sitting this year. Have you had any information or support from your primary school?

SJ
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now