Help & advice desperately needed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bd1981

Help & advice desperately needed

Post by Bd1981 »

Hello I have just discovered this forum and am after some help, we have been living in Australia for 18 months and have recently returned, I applied to Trafford for a secondary school place for my 12 year old son, before we left the UK ha passed the entrance exams for both St Ambrose (98% pass mark) and AGSB (89% pass mark) they have come back to me with none of the school places I applied for saying they are all oversubscribed and I really don't know what to do, I have 2 other children of primary school age who they want to send to 2 different schools, how can I take 3 children to 3 different schools, I gave no car at the moment, we will be living in timperley and school offered in flixton. Also my children are catholic and have always had a catholic education I woul like this to continue, I know I can appeal but have no experience in this and have no clue where to start. Really hoping somebody can help :)
Etienne

Re: Help & advice desperately needed

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

If appealing against oversubscription, see our Q&As, especially:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You don't say how old your primary school children are. There is special legislation relating to infant classes, which makes appeals for Reception and years 1&2 extremely difficult to win if class sizes have reached 30:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know whether your 12 year old's previous 11+ qualification is still considered valid - you need to check with the admission authority if you haven't already done so.

Do come back with any further questions, after you've done some reading.
Etienne
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi there,

So sorry to hear of your problem- I am astounded that you can't be offered a school closer than that - I think I know the school you mean.

Just a thought, but have you been in touch with the schools directly to see what they say?

I have a feeling that the test results are no longer applicable but if you mention he sat and passed , with those kind of results they might be keen to offer advice? I think he might need to do more tests and you will have to appeal as per Etiennes advice.

Did they not offer you BTH even if the two you mentioned were full- it's a lovely school and Catholic as you will know.
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

Just a thought but check whether he can apply for year 7 even though he is 12. My sister lived in Australia for a few years but wanted to return for her DCs to go to secondary school here. Her son is a March baby and, because the Australian school year runs from january to december this meant he would effectively lose a year. Kent CC were willing to let him sit the 11plus a year behind because he was still in year 6. I hope this makes sense and of course Trafford may not be willing to do this and it might be too late now but could be worth investigating. Her son went to an excellent grammar in tunbridge wells and was quite happy to be the oldest in the class.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

From an old case on here, that needs to be approached on a school by school basis. From my knowledge very few of the schools permit 'out of year' admission because of the effect on their GCSE results/league tables.
catmum

Post by catmum »

HI, I agree with previous post about checking if Blessed Thomas Holford have a place in the first instance( lovely school), you could then try for Altrincham grammar and Sale grammar who do offer year 8 and 9 entry if exam passed and place available ( may have to resit 12+) I know Ambrose informed me they don't offer any places to boys after year 7 and don't offer resits either as they claim to remain full all the time( no-one there must ever move house! ,they seem to be particularly inflexible compared to other grammars) but it may be worth speaking to them again with his high scores. I would contact all schools direct. Good Luck