Difficulty Level of VR GL Pack 1 Test 2

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sonia

Difficulty Level of VR GL Pack 1 Test 2

Post by Sonia »

Hi All,

Getting tensed with each passing day.

Daughter going to AE tution and they have given her GL pack for VR and she scored 79/85.

Just curious to know

Is this test too easy (Test 2 in Pack 1.)
Why this pack contain 85 questions as compared to 80in the real test.
Pack 2 tests are harder than the Pack 1.

Thanks in advance.

Sonia
patricia

Re: Difficulty Level of VR GL Pack 1 Test 2

Post by patricia »

Dear Sonia

GL assessment pack 1

1] Have 85 questions

2] They are relatively easy compared to the real test.

3] They do not include 6 types of questions which appear in the real test, these types are known as HIKNOS, as identified by IPS

Pack 2

1] Contain 80 questions each

2] Are a tad harder than pack 1

3] They include the HIKNOS types that are missing from pack 1

Patricia
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Thanks Patricia,

Every time in read your post , I am a little bit relieved.

Sonia
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

Agree with Patricia,

But I keep the last 5 questions (and add 170 seconds to the test) as chopping them out would make the test even more unrepresentative of the real test.

They do have the benefit, however of being in the same format as the real tests.

In my experience, children's score in the actual test are not quite as high as even the second pack would indicate.
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Hi ian35mm,
In my experience, children's score in the actual test are not quite as high as even the second pack would indicate.
Can u please explain what u mean by this?

What I understand is that what the children will score on Pack 2 of VR Gl assessment , their actual score will be less than that.

Regards

Sonia
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

In my experience, children scoring 90% on the pack 2 papers, are marginal at best (depending on age, of course).
Manana

Post by Manana »

ian35mm wrote:In my experience, children scoring 90% on the pack 2 papers, are marginal at best (depending on age, of course).
What do you mean by that? That children getting 90% in the park 2 papers, will be borderline passes in the real thing?

Or have I misunderstood? :?
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

This all sounds so technical, I have had 4 sit and pass the 11 plus and during the summer holidays all they did were the 10 minute tests a few times a week, then the week before the actual test they did 5 papers in a row 1 each evening and they were all successful with good scores. I am a little concerned that if the children do too many full 80 question papers they may peak too soon. I am not an expert by any means and have not used tutors so I could be completely wrong but I personally just encouraged reading in the summer holidays ,had a list of vocabulary ensured they knew their times tables. luckily it worked. Eldest just got 2 A* and 2 A's at A'level !! My thoughts and best wishes are with you all and your children.
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

ian35mm wrote:In my experience, children scoring 90% on the pack 2 papers, are marginal at best (depending on age, of course).
Thats quite a statement you've made there

How can you be so certain ?

I have been led to believe by most people on the website that SD bright sparks and GL Pack 2 are closest to the real thing in terms of levels of difficulty ?

Is anyone allowed to see past papers of the 11 plus to actually make factual statements about the 11 plus ??
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Manny0311

Not an exact science, but based on many years experience...

Children often score well on tests at home. (nice calm environment)

However real tests can produce lower scores due to "nerves." Therefore 90% at home could equate to 86% or so under exam conditions.

Patricia