Private schools vs grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DC17C

Private schools vs grammar

Post by DC17C »

Hi I have just had a bit of news which makes private schooling a possibility for DS - who has a reasonably good chance of passing 11+. He is level 5 in maths and literacy at end of yr5 - if you had the choice would the grammars or a local private/public school what would be your preferred option and why?
Guest55

Re: Private schools vs grammar

Post by Guest55 »

Of course as a GS teacher I am biased. :lol:

I chose a GS because you will need the money later for Uni - then they can start life debt free.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I had the choice and went for GS.

I tend to find that where there are good GS, the indies are not so great and vice versa - so here passing the 11 plus meant the best option and the indie would have been an option if they hadn't got a GS place.

Glad I did go for GS - need the money for Uni!! :roll: :lol: :? :oops:
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

hermanmunster wrote:I had the choice and went for GS.

I tend to find that where there are good GS, the indies are not so great and vice versa - so here passing the 11 plus meant the best option and the indie would have been an option if they hadn't got a GS place.
It was my thought too that the GS route is the number 1 option - the money would not be there for Uni though as it is part of an employment package- shame - it might be nice to have the option as a back up though.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Gs's do not have or offer as many trimmings as private schools. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Depends to an extent ss to what child wants out of school to.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

DC17C wrote:It was my thought too that the GS route is the number 1 option - the money would not be there for Uni though as it is part of an employment package- shame - it might be nice to have the option as a back up though.
What would happen if the employment package was removed? (God forbid!)
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

What would happen if the employment package was removed? (God forbid!)

I have already asked that question - definitely an issue
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Gs's do not have or offer as many trimmings as private schools
Sorry - can you clarify what you mean by this?

I cannot think of one thing I would have wanted my DC to have that has not been on offer. Indeed there are things that the local Private school does not have ... In a GS area this premise may not be true as the GS themselves have to compete for pupils.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am not in your region but I agree with Hermanmunster's point. There is just one pool of able students in each area so if the GS's and or comps are good then they will take the cream of that pool. If there are no good local schools then the pool will be more likely to go to the private schools. My dd's school is full of students from prep schools. Their parents spent their money on primary school so they had the best chance of getting into a state secondary school. It is easier to get into the local private schools because the most academic students are going to the selective state schools. DG
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Guest55 wrote:
Gs's do not have or offer as many trimmings as private schools
Sorry - can you clarify what you mean by this?

I cannot think of one thing I would have wanted my DC to have that has not been on offer. Indeed there are things that the local Private school does not have ... In a GS area this premise may not be true as the GS themselves have to compete for pupils.
I guess each area is different but, on the whole, the private schools near me have much better grounds/outdoor space and sports facilities than the Grammars. They also tend to offer a wider range of sports - such as rowing
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now