So what are your thoughts about results and the Gove-ernment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

So what are your thoughts about results and the Gove-ernment

Post by stroudydad »

Please feel free to speak..
Guest55

Re: So what are your thoughts about results and the Gove-ern

Post by Guest55 »

if I was honest I think I would be banned .. :lol:
Manana

Post by Manana »

Some people might think that it's only just and right to stop the results getting *better* as each year passes. Others might say that Gove is trying to prove lots of schools are just a bit pants and need to become academies...
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Without having made a change, how can the exams have suddenly got harder ? It is a publicity stunt and Gove should be made to pay for making guinea pigs of innocent parties where the goal posts have changed so much between January and June.
It's like he thinks we are all just plain daft :shock:
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Just had the news my niece has A*s GCSE's in English Language, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Art and History and As in Biology and German so some have managed to buck the trend.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Do feel free to shout me down on this...

For the last x years, we've been told that the exams have not been getting easier, but that pupils have been studying harder to achieve ever-increasing scores, and teachers have been teaching more effectively.

If that is the case, there has to be a limit to the improvements. Is it that that limit has now been reached, that in the past the exams have been actually getting easier, or that the scoring has been adjusted in the past to allow for an ever greater number of passes? It's a bit like corporations striving for ever-greater levels of efficiency & profitability - there have to be finite limits at some point.

I'm sure that pupils work every bit as hard as they did in my days and that the average intelligence has not increased.
Capers
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

The big problem for Mr Gove is that he has been so high profile that whether there there was any government influence or not, he will be associated with it.. I find it strange that both A level and Gcse scores were down this year....
Amber

Post by Amber »

I don't have any problem with standards being rigorously applied, nor even with exams becoming harder.
What I do have a big problem with, as both a teacher and a parent, is for standards to be changed during the course of an active series of modular exams and assessments, so that students who thought they were assured of a particular grade, say a C, so long as they also got a C on their last paper, suddenly found themselves shunted down a grade. If this is indeed what has happened, as it appears, then I think that is scandalous. If it has happened because of political pressure, as is suspected, then someone should stand up and admit it. Ho ho.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Amber wrote:I don't have any problem with standards being rigorously applied, nor even with exams becoming harder.
What I do have a big problem with, as both a teacher and a parent, is for standards to be changed during the course of an active series of modular exams and assessments, so that students who thought they were assured of a particular grade, say a C, so long as they also got a C on their last paper, suddenly found themselves shunted down a grade. If this is indeed what has happened, as it appears, then I think that is scandalous. If it has happened because of political pressure, as is suspected, then someone should stand up and admit it. Ho ho.
Beautifully put Amber. I agree with everything you have said.

Just like Guest55, I am not going to say too much as I would also be banned. :evil:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Fran17 wrote:
Amber wrote:I don't have any problem with standards being rigorously applied, nor even with exams becoming harder.
Beautifully put Amber. I agree with everything you have said.

Just like Guest55, I am not going to say too much as I would also be banned. :evil:

Hear, hear (this seems to have happened to DD so I'm biased!).
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now