Not long now!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rainy

Not long now!

Post by Rainy »

Hi just sat think about the impending exams in less than two weeks and wondered, how you and your children are ?
Best wishes to all
Rainy
ginx

Re: Not long now!

Post by ginx »

Panicking, fairly sure my dd won't pass but determined she tries hard and gets a good score at least. She wants to pass and go to the grammar school, I don't think she can do it.

We've decided to ease off a little on the practice. My dd has asked to do a paper every other day and go through the errors every other day. She has many weak areas but always scores 50-60%, sometimes higher. I've read on here you need more than that to pass (70, 80, 90%) so she would have to have a very lucky day to pass.

So we've relaxed a little. No last minute cramming for us.

I'm worried she won't sleep the night before! She has diabetes and I'm worried her levels will go up (so she won't pass out or anything) but may affect her performance. Can't do anything about it though, except hope, and try not to make her worry too much. Hence the easing off.

I've had good advice about diabetes on this forum.

Good luck!
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Hi ginx and rainy - its getting close to the big day(s) and we are losing our drive - its so close but the pace of papers and revision has slowed down for us.

Have panicked, stressed and worried....and now the calm has set in. We're doing approx 20 mins of recapping and nothing more. I think with the marks dd has been attaining in the home tests suggest she has reached her peak.

Still a little in the dark of what the pass marks are for the various grammars we are going to try for, but feel its too late in the day to cram any more.

Have to sort out school shoes and stationery for next week - this will take our minds off for a little while!

Good Luck to you and your children :)
gatleymum

Post by gatleymum »

Emotional rollercoaster!

Doing three papers a week, one in each subject. Four days off.
Most days : "I'm tooooo tired. I'll be rubbish."

Followed sometimes by focus, 100% within the required time, easy, triumphant, I'm thinking "Yes! She's cracked it!"

But
then
OTHER days 50 minutes staring out the window, sighing, crying, only getting 60% due to not doing half the paper.
Then I'm thinking, "Oh God, she's not going to manage this, emotionally, what a stupid idea it all is" until the next high mark paper..

The important exam is 15th September so not much longer. Shame we have the stress of new term, teacher etc. just before that.

Hope everyone else is doing ok!
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Hi Ginx Sounds like you're having a tough time on the 11+ rollercoaster,I hope that you daughter is able to keep calm and that her insulin levels aren't adversely affected by the stress. All we can hope is that they do their best on the day. My son has had varying results with papers at home but did much better in the mocks at school. As practise papers vary so much from publisher to publisher all that can be hoped is that the questions that crop up are the ones that our children feel most confident with.
I wish you and your daughter all the very best over the next few weeks and like me you will no doubt be proud of her whatever the outcome of the tests.
Take care
Rainy
Last edited by Rainy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Hi Yummycool
I agree not much cramming now, just a little practise.Like yourself getting ready for the upcoming return to school next week. The distraction has certainly helped my stress levels which have been soaring! My son is anxious as the exams get closer as he wants more than anything to go to the same school as his big brother. I will be so glad when this is all over! Thankfully this will be my last time of having to go through this!
Best wishes to you and your daughter
Rainy
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Hi gatleymum
It certainly is an emotional rollercoaster for us and our children. My son is getting more anxious as the exam dates get closer .Like your daughter his first exam is on the 15th! We are practising but trying to keep it low key to try and reduce his stress levels. I will be glad when it is all over!
Best wishes to you and your daughter and hope that the rollercoaster we are on has more ups than downs!
Take care
Rainy
AliceM

Post by AliceM »

Hi Rainy. We are already nervous. My DS after a year of tutoring (and seeing the tutor in the 6 weeks holiday), is fed up to say the least and despite knowing the exam is so close now, (ours is on 12/9) doesn't want to do any more work. When he does agree to do the odd 10 min test if he gets more than a few wrong he gets upset saying "that won't be good enough to get in...". I am also thoroughly fed up with it all and like many others I'm sure, can't wait for it all to be over. We are all hoping that he will pull something out of the bag on the day and not panic which he sometimes does if he thinks he can't do a question. Needless to say we are 'bigging' up the local Comp which is very good whilst saying at the same time to try his very very best in the test!! What a nightmare rollercoaster which we can't get off yet!! Of course we will get the exam out of the way then it will be the dreaded letter in October and I'm still not really sure what detail of information there will be in this? :(

Good luck to everyone and their DC's. xx
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Hi I think a lot of parents and their children are feeling fed up with the process - I know my dd is for sure...she is starting to get that glazed look of - no more please!

We have slowed down massively and just want it over with. I don't think we can do any more to further the outcome.

We too started to big up the local comp but she was quick to say that it was a rubbish school and that we were just saying this just in case she didn't pass - (all the extra training has paid off!!).

Good luck to all - roll on the carefree and no test paper zone - as a symbol of the freedom of it all, we may just burn all the used past papers and sit down with a very nice relaxing cup of tea :)

Yummycool
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Gatleymum I could have written your post!
Our DS switches between finishing with 15mins to spare and getting a good 92% - 96% to tears, histrionics, tantrums and scores of 80% ish with going over by about ten minutes.

God help us all. Our exams are on the 11th and 14th with a familiarisation test next Friday, can't wait until it's all over. I am also grateful that my DD is only just starting reception this year so I have yonks before having to do this all again!
Vic x