FALSE COMPOUND WORDS

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SELENA

FALSE COMPOUND WORDS

Post by SELENA »

Does anyone have a list of false compund words which are often used to trick pupils, eg. CAB AGE?
Many thanks
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Selena

If you look at the free CD demo from The Tutors you will find five compound word questions that contain some "false compound" words and some ambiguities.

The full version of the CD contains fifty questions for each question type, so there will be be plenty of "false compounds". One of our favourites is GOODNESS and SAKE a surprisingly high number of students choose this option!!!

We do take the writing of the questions seriously, but have had some fun compiling the compound word types.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Two false compounds, mud and pie and girl and power [those spice girls have a lot to answer for] are the ones, my students most commonly get wrong.

Have you seen my list of compound words in the free downloads, although not false they do include a number hard compounds, where the sound has to be changed eg do and nation.

towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... wnload.php

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Patricia

One of the FAT options is FACE rather than HER. We often have students choosing the wrong option on this one too.

Regards

Mike

Post by Guest »

There are some really wicked ones in that list! I particularly like TEA RING.

There are a couple of errors:

COT TEN (COT TON)
RED DRAW (Twice. Presumably, this one should have been RED RAW)

And one where it might be worth pointing out that the resultant word doesn't mean what you think it does.
CAN ON
is not the large gun fired from warships, but various things to do with the church or in music, a round.

Y
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Y

Thanks, yes it should be RED RAW and COT TON. CAN ON was put in deliberately.

I have been compiling a number of false conpounds for my own papers, so you will have to wait and see.

Patricia
selena

false compound words

Post by selena »

Many thanks to all of you who have responded; it's been incredibly helpful. I have found another very sly word SUIT TABLE. This is false - suitable only has one 't'.