Help with GL (NVR) Test 8, please

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lesse

Help with GL (NVR) Test 8, please

Post by Lesse »

Hi there,

Hope all of you are well prepared uptill now.....I would be grateful if someone would help me with

GL (NVR) Test8
Section 3 (Q.10, Q.12)

Much appreciated :)
Stocky

Re: Help with GL (NVR) Test 8, please

Post by Stocky »

My DS hasn't done this pack yet, so I am relying on what DD did last year. I apologise in advance, as sometimes I find NVR dreadful to explain when you 'can't point to the object' - but I will try!

(10) firstly, the number 4 type thing (I did warn you ha ha) is moving clockwise, but its triangle bit moves so every other one is a reflected or backwards 4, so this means it is a backwards 4, so cant be (a) or (c). Next the circle, which I am going to call an eyeball (again I warned you), needs to be at the bottom (no help they all are), so what we have is the pupil bit **pointing down to the right** **?????** **pointing up to the left** **pointing down to the left** **pointing down to the right**, so the pupil bit is rotating anticlockwise, so answer (d). Sorry I've just reread that and it sounds dreadful, so I hope I havent confused you

(12) the whole thing rotates clockwise so its got to be (a), (c) or (d). My DD says she then looked at the interlocking type shape, which reduces down by one each time and if you look at box 1 and rotate your paper, but always think back to which one in box one has now gone, its from the right that they are being lost - this last bit is hard to explain without being able to sit and point to the paper. She got answer (a) without having to look at the black bit, if you look at the black bit you end up with (a) or (d) so still have to look at the interlocking bit.
Lesse

Post by Lesse »

Thanks again Stocky....You've been great help :)

Could you also kindly work out

Section 2 (Q.6)
Section 3 (Q.7)

Many Thanks.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Hiya Lesse.
S.2 Q.6 - firstly objective moves 45 degrees clockwise, cant eliminate any, they all do. Secondly the shape on the right (white diamond) moves to the left, so the black teardrop will do the same - can only be (a).

S.3 Q.7 - between squares 2 and 4, the object acquires another 2 triangles. Given by shape 4 the additional 2 triangles are one extra on the top and one extra on the bottom it cant be (b) as that has 2 extra on the top. Secondly the black dot moves up and down, so will be at the bottom, got to be (c) or (d). The black dot is always on the side opposite the side which has gained a triangle, so must be (c).

Hope thats ok
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

eh objective??? I am sure you realise I mean 'object' - must be in VR mode!
Lesse

Post by Lesse »

Thanks a lot Stocky....You've been a great help on this forum :)
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

you're welcome!
jo22

Post by jo22 »

Continuing with GL NVR Test 8....

Please could anyone help explain

Section 4 Q9 and Q10
Lesse

Post by Lesse »

Hi Jo22,

GL (NVR) Section 4:

Q.9: I think the answer is 'c' because firstly, if you look at the small black triangle, in the first diagram it is going in a clockwise direction (X) and in the rest 3 diagrams, it is going in an anti clockwise direction (Y), so the first part of our answer would be (X) as the small black arrow in the question asked is moving in a clockwise direction
Secondly, P,Q,R represent the way the circles are placed. In the first and the fourth diagram, all three circles are in the same direction(P). In the second diagram, two circles are in the same direction(Q) and in the third diagram, none of the circles are in the same direction(R). We can see that two circles in the question asked, are in the same direction, which makes our second part of the answer, (Q). So the final answer is c (X,Q)

Q.10: I'll use the terms 'outer shape' and 'inner shape' for the shapes given. Firstly, If the outer shape has straight sides then it is going to be (G) as in the first two diagrams and if the outer shape has no straight sides(is a circle), then it's going to be (G), just like the third diagram. In the question given, the outer shape has no straight sides(is a circle), so the answer would be (H)
Secondly, if the inner shape has no straight sides(is a circle), it is going to be (M) as shown in the second diagram. If the inner shape has straight sides then it is going to be (L), just like the first and the third diagram. This shows that in the question given, the inner shape HAS straight sides so the answer would be (M). The final answer would be d(H,M).

I have tried my best to explain the answer.....Hope this helps :)
jo22

Post by jo22 »

Hi Lesse
Thanks very much for your help. Both explanations makes sense.
I have to say I think Q9 is poorly constructed. The side of the triangle is a clear rule, but the alignment of the circles is weak. You might argue it should be R because the opening of the middle ring overlaps the opening of the outer ring but the inner ring does not. Anyway your explanation is better!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now