Similar practice papers to English standard for Essex

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lastminuteprep

Similar practice papers to English standard for Essex

Post by lastminuteprep »

Hi All,

Aside from the past papers and advertising removed by a moderator, can anyone advise on any other good practice papers similar to the Essex English standard paper? :?:

Thanks! :D
Daogroupie

Re: Similar practice papers to English standard for Essex

Post by Daogroupie »

If this is the CSSE paper then the Dame Alice Owens English past papers sold by the school and the Athey English and the Alpha English would be suitable. DG
bravado

Post by bravado »

Daogroupie wrote:If this is the CSSE paper then the Dame Alice Owens English past papers sold by the school and the Athey English and the Alpha English would be suitable. DG

Do you mean the Athey Secondary Selection Portfolio English? For example, the Test Pack 6, Standard Version?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, that is the one, you can get them next day delivery from the forum shop. DG
bravado

Post by bravado »

Thanks for getting back to clarify.
Can you please help to illustrate which areas of the Athey papers are similar to the new-format CSSE papers?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sorry, is there a new format for CSSE papers this year? I am going off the papers that CSSE have been selling for years and I use as test papers in our region as they are hard and good for our formats. Is there a copy of the new format somewhere I can look at? DG
lastminuteprep

Post by lastminuteprep »

Thanks All! A great help!
Yes the format for CSSE English has changed (I think after 2010). Questions to test grammar, spelling and literary devices are included. Previously it was only comprehension, punctuation and vocab...so I have been informed...
moved

Post by moved »

There is no reason to assume that there will be a consistent format beyond not multiple choice and no story to write.

I would use any standard format paper - modern or old texts, etc. I still think that the Bond 5th and more 5th are good at this stage. Bits of comprehension and lots of grammar.

Identify grammatical terms and check that your child knows the obvious ones such as onomatopoeia then at least they will be able to use a process of elimination. Recognition of simple subjunctive clauses is easy to teach.
bravado

Post by bravado »

moved wrote:
Identify grammatical terms and check that your child knows the obvious ones such as onomatopoeia then at least they will be able to use a process of elimination. Recognition of simple subjunctive clauses is easy to teach.
Would you mind clarifying something for me, please? By "grammatical terms" do you mean the literary devices ie onomatopeia or contractions, prepositions etc?
moved

Post by moved »

Literary terms, parts of speech, etc. identifying verb, article,...
Common misspellings, contractions, use of a semicolon, subjunctive, imperative

The list goes on. I extended the general grammar style work this year, having always looked at the basic standard primary terms I extended this ti include those used in ks3.

Hope this helps.