exam speed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
houseful

exam speed

Post by houseful »

Hi All

Not been on since my DD sat her exam in 2010. DS taking his this September. Although he is getting good marks, Im having problems on getting him to complete papers within the set time limits. Any advise on exam technique and how to increase speed would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all.
Paramjeet

Re: exam speed

Post by Paramjeet »

for my DC, if the test papers, such as bond, said 50 mins, I would get my DC to do it in 45mins and then gradually less when DC started to cope. Has to be done for a number of weeks for practice purposes.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Is it just one subject or are all his papers like that? Apart from timing, have you had a look at how he's doing the questions?

For example, my dd takes far too long on her maths. Going through her papers, I can now see that the techniques she uses are time consuming. So apart from everything else that needs to be addressed :roll: , I'm also having to work on maths speed.

You could also try to address smaller areas of the paper rather than a complete paper if timing is an issue. Reduce the time gradually. He should get faster with practice.
ChessDadPlus

Post by ChessDadPlus »

Good answer from Paramjeet.

I would also try to find the Usainbolt time for each test as the ultimate benchmark for the potential 'High Flyer'
rayla

Post by rayla »

Hi Guys. I was wondering if at this late stage anyone has any advice in addition to the comments on this post for speeding up my DS. Having taken my ds for a mock last Saturday in maths and receiving a disappointing result. But looking through her paper I have discovered she has made silly careless errors in the latter part of her paper. I have narrowed down her mistakes to poor time management with her rushing the exam. How can I correct her timing issue with the exam so close. I would be grateful of any tips that anyone can offer. I must admit I had overlooked the timing issue up until now. And now don't know whether it too late!!
sss

Post by sss »

Hi Rayla

With only 10 days to go I wouldn't try to put too much pressure to finish papers any quicker.
Work in smaller chunks eg NVR 10 mins, Maths 20 mins, Comp 15 mins.
This is what we are doing - we haven't done full papers for a while.
Work on areas where your DC lost marks in the Mock Test.
Working steadily & accurately is, in my thoughts, what counts. Rushing leads to panicking which leads to errors.
Keep praising your child - this is very important at this 'late stage in the game.'
You keeping your nerve is just as important as your child keeping theirs for the next 10 days.

Good luck!

sss
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Stop them from checking the time very other minute - it takes at least 5 seconds to check the time and then get back into question mode - and mine was checking the time every other minute which was over 2 minutes of clock watching in a 50 minute test (equivalent to 4 questions in a VR test!).
rayla

Post by rayla »

Thanks guys for the tips. I've been torturing the poor child with exams and she has sooo had enough!!!!! Which tests for the quick 10 /20 mins ones do u recommend. Bond???.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

At this stage of the lottery, prep should be fine tuning the silly mistakes. Basics and working under tight time pressure should be mastered at this stage. It's the elimination of the silly mistakes that can be the difference between a grammar place or not.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

At this stage last year we weren't doing anything in particular. I think, because of that my DS, went into the exam not panicking about anything :)

The night before the exam, we went through the synonyms and antonyms given in previous papers in the sticky. Well, ONE word did come up, so that was worth it!

I really wouldn't try picking at faults at this stage. It's too far late in the day. Just give hints and tips and PLENTY of praise! Good luck all :)