How does paying for school fees on monthly basis work

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yikes!!

How does paying for school fees on monthly basis work

Post by Yikes!! »

Hello everyone

I'm a newbie here, so please be gentle with me , and I'm sorry if my question has already been answered somewhere else-

I'm hoping my son passes the Whitgift Exam in Jan 2013.
I was wondering how paying for the fees monthly actually works out.
Termly fees are £5097, equating to £15,291 per year.

Do I calculate how many weeks he's at school, in which case it's 36 .
One term of 14 weeks and two terms of 11weeks, and then calculate the terms fees based on that ?
Sorry for asking, but I can't get hold of anyone from the foundation dept- will try them again once school starts.
Thanks v much
faitaccompli

Re: How does paying for school fees on monthly basis work

Post by faitaccompli »

In the independent schools my DS has attended, the schools have split the fees into 10 equal amounts - which means that we get July and August "off"

It is for fees only - everything else has to be paid when it is due - i.e. music lessons, lunches etc.

I imagine each school has its own method - suspect you are going to have to wait for them to respond!
Yikes!!

Post by Yikes!! »

Thank-you very much for your quick reply .

I will check with school once I'm able to .

Thanks again.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

I have a Trinity invoice on my desk - as Trinity and Whitgift are both part of the Whitgift Foundation I assume they work in the same way.

Trinity divide the yearly fees by 12 and you pay that each month - so for September 2012 the fees are £4,352 per term (so £13,056 per year) and the monthly direct debit is £1,088.
estelle

Post by estelle »

Hi there

My son goes to Whitgift & it's exactly as LazyDaisy says-the fees are divided into 12 equal payments. Makes it much easier to budget & there is no extra charge for paying this way( unlike some schools!).
Yikes!!

Post by Yikes!! »

Morning!

Thanks estelle and lazydaisy for your replies.

I find the system a little strange . The reason being that the boys aren't at school for about 15/16 weeks, due to holidays, hence no schooling- but you still pay for most of July and August and some other weeks through out the year when they are not at school. :shock: :shock:

I did most of my secondary education in India, and over there you only pay for the weeks the school is open.

Oh well , never mind.

Thanks again xx
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Hi Yikes!! - it's not that you are paying for times that the school is closed! It is simply that the school allows you to spread the cost over the year. As estelle says this helps with budgeting as the same amount goes out every month.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

They are all different - I must admit, I loved my "payment break" in July and August, but I still paid the same amount.

I also liked working for Bosch when they split my monthly salary into 13 rather than 12, so I got two pay packets at Christmas! I am so easily pleased ... :lol:
Yikes!!

Post by Yikes!! »

Hello

Thanks lazydaisy - I understand it better now ! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think all this 11 plus prep has got to me ! :shock:

Can't wait till its over - still debating whether to do the super-selective grammars in our area too! :? :?

Xx
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

LOL faitaccompli! I also used to work for someone who paid 13 times a year and I loved it too!!!!!

I can see the attraction of fees being spread over 10 months rather than 12.

Good luck to your ds with the entrance exams yikes. Is he doing Trinity as well or just Whitgift? Beware of putting all your eggs in one basket - it is best to enter for several schools just to be on the safe side.