Medicine Total Cost

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ChessDadPlus

Medicine Total Cost

Post by ChessDadPlus »

Ok so we are 4 years away and politics could change by then, but on current legislation, I would appreciate some budgetary heads up from someone who has worn the tea shirt

Tuition Fees ~ £10K including books, material etc
Accommodation ~ £5K
Food and Drink ~ £5K

So say ~£20K per year
Over 5 Years this amounts to £100K

And then if you have more than 1 child wishing to pursue a 5 Year course

Am I over engineering this figure or have I underestimated?

Please could I have your views as A Level Results are due...
hermanmunster

Re: Medicine Total Cost

Post by hermanmunster »

remember the 10 k / yr fees is a loan that they start paying back when they are working - also there are some bursaries and fee remissions for the longer courses
mim

Post by mim »

Hi ChessDadPlus we too settled for your estimate, which is £10k a year for fees, and same for living costs. Per child. Going out of UK was feasible for us, but after a look see, the course that won out was in the UK. If yours can go locally and live at home, it's just fees. The "good" news is that it's no different cost wise from any other course.

Just to add that there's a booklet, from the BMA I think, on funding. The NHS gets involved from year 5, but the initial years' cost are down to the student.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Don't forget you also have the cost of travel to hospital and GP practices placements - Nephew is at Hull/York and was based at Grimsby last year and Scarboro this year - gets temp accommodation at placements but has to keep his accommodation in Hull. Car is virtually essential but he only gets £40 per yeap to to cover his travel costs. Costs really mount up and of course he only get 4 week holiday now so no time for summer jobs.

BTW the NHS only covers course fees in year 5
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

KenR makes a good point about universities that are part of very big trusts : you might still need to keep accommodation going near the base and pay out quite a lot for travel. The NHS trust for Hull is really very big. I think Cardiff is another one where students can end up going really quite far and wide on their placements.
UmSusu