Six month German/french exchange

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2littleboysmum

Six month German/french exchange

Post by 2littleboysmum »

A couple of years ago I remember reading about a scheme whereby your DC goes and lives with another family in Germany or France for 6 months, and then that family's DC comes to you for 6 months; I think it is aimed at 8-10 year olds.

Does anyone have any experience/ views on this? thinking of looking into it for our boys. We lived abroad when they were too young to remember, and I have an almost pathological need for them to realise that there is life beyond West Yorkshire. We would want them to go to Germany.

However, though I think acquistion of another language is an obvious advantage, I do wonder if the curriculum in either of the above 2 countries is similar to that in the UK, with half an eye on the 11+. Again, views and experiences welcomed.
faitaccompli

Re: Six month German/french exchange

Post by faitaccompli »

http://www.allef.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really don't think that I could do it - I had read about it and immediately decided that I did not know anyone who would even consider sending their child away for 6 months with only a weekly phone call! You are not allowed to visit so will miss Christmas, birthdays etc - nope - I really could not contemplate it. No doubt this is why my child will only ever speak English and nothing else!!! :lol: :lol:
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I know 4 families who have done exchanges through En Famille, and another is hopefully soon to have a one way visit. They were all home educating at the time, although the children all went to school in France. (En Famille do German exchanges as well.) One was a bit older, but the other three did it when their kids were 9-10, so before secondary applications, but they weren't thinking about 11+. (Although one subsequently got a selective place at Hockerill.) I don't think I'd be worrying about the curriculum tbh - if they want to go to Germany, they'd get so much from it and I'm sure you could fill in any gaps if needed.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I'm all for alternative education and enriching experiences but I couldn't trust a family I don't know with my child. I would worry about abuse, peer bullying, my son being hungry, frightened and not being able to talk about his problems. My son has stayed overnight at friends houses and has come home starving and would tell me how cold the parents were to him and critical of the way he ate, sat, talked! :shock: :x
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

For En Famille, my friends had to folk in a really detailed questionnaire, all about their parenting, way of life, etc, send in references, and then have an interview. Of course, I suppose people could lie, but if they're prepared to take on an extra child for 6 months, I'd be happy to trust them I think. None of mine were at all interested, fortunately!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now