Anyone know exact timings / marks for Kent tests../

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ant.khan

Anyone know exact timings / marks for Kent tests../

Post by ant.khan »

Greetings, new to this forum and gratefully seeking advice from those that might be able to help.

My son is sitting the 11+ in September; Kent region - we've been working through the sample papers; GL and Bond.

I'm slightly (I hope only slightly!) unsure as to the exact format of the three tests he wil sit. Comparing the Kent.gov website with the elevenplusexams (head for success) website, there are slight discrepancies.

NVR - Kent.gov says "about 40 minutes", 11+exams says "40 minutes". How can any exam be "about" any time limit? My conclusion is that the exam consists of six sections of six minutes each, each section being 12 marks. The total time is 36 minutes, though practically this takes "about 40 minutes" because of the explanation of the practise questions at the start of each section. 72 marks in total. This is the same as the GL papers. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM WHETHER THIS IS CORRECT?

Verbal - 50 minutes; both websites agree. IS THIS EIGHTY QUESTIONS?

Maths - 60 minutes according to both websites? Though the GL practise papers are 50 marks in 50 minutes?! CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THE TIME AND MARKS?

Thanks for the help; hopefully I'm not the only one slightly confused by this, and any answers can help other readers too.

I also realise there's an English one hour paper; persumably this is a piece of creative writing based upon a selection of titles they are provided?

THANK YOU!

:?

NB 95 views and no replies, does anybody know??!!
dadofkent

Re: Anyone know exact timings / marks for Kent tests../

Post by dadofkent »

ant.khan wrote:Greetings, new to this forum and gratefully seeking advice from those that might be able to help.

My son is sitting the 11+ in September; Kent region - we've been working through the sample papers; GL and Bond.

I'm slightly (I hope only slightly!) unsure as to the exact format of the three tests he wil sit. Comparing the Kent.gov website with the elevenplusexams (head for success) website, there are slight discrepancies.

NVR - Kent.gov says "about 40 minutes", 11+exams says "40 minutes". How can any exam be "about" any time limit? My conclusion is that the exam consists of six sections of six minutes each, each section being 12 marks. The total time is 36 minutes, though practically this takes "about 40 minutes" because of the explanation of the practise questions at the start of each section. 72 marks in total. This is the same as the GL papers. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM WHETHER THIS IS CORRECT?

Verbal - 50 minutes; both websites agree. IS THIS EIGHTY QUESTIONS?

The timings, the format, and the number of questions can vary from year to year. Hence the "about".

Maths - 60 minutes according to both websites? Though the GL practise papers are 50 marks in 50 minutes?! CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THE TIME AND MARKS?

Thanks for the help; hopefully I'm not the only one slightly confused by this, and any answers can help other readers too.

I also realise there's an English one hour paper; persumably this is a piece of creative writing based upon a selection of titles they are provided?

THANK YOU!

:?

NB 95 views and no replies, does anybody know??!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

DadofKent, did you mean to add something?
penguin

Post by penguin »

Hi Ant.Khan

My daughter will be sitting the 11+ this year (Kent) as well, the first in my family so I can't confirm anything at all.
But, I have come to the same conclusions that you are asking confirmation of using the info provided in the stickies at the top of the Kent forum esp. The raw scores which indicates the number of questions in each test which does seem to show VR as having 80 questions and NVR as 72 with 40 mins (which I've taken to include admin time i.e. example questions)
With maths, I've given my daughter 50 mins to do the GL papers. I think that is what it says on it, if not, then I must have read it on the forum as the time allowed. If it's actually more time allowed, then it will just be a bonus for her and she'll have more time to check answers.
Summerglow

Post by Summerglow »

This is the first time for our family too, I understand that the VR is 50mins, maths 50mins & NVR is 30mins for actual test (6mins for each section, 5 sections in test) this info is inside the NVR test papers?
Mamonaku

Post by Mamonaku »

From what I can gather you are correct about the written English paper - the children will be given 1 hour to write a story. Usually they're given a couple of themes to select from or an opening sentence that they have to continue on from.

The written English paper is not looked at unless the child is borderline and the school appeals as far as I know.
doodles

Post by doodles »

The GL tests are 50 minutes for Maths and VR and the NVR is 6 minutes per section
(i.e. 12 questions) but Pack 2 tests have 6 sections not 5.
Mr & Mrs Monmouth

Post by Mr & Mrs Monmouth »

Hi. Can anyone confirm the format (paper order) of the Kent test this year for Out of County candidates ?

Many thanks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now