Advance Open Evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fred

Advance Open Evening

Post by fred »

Hi all,

Did anyone take their DC to schools open evenings/days a year in advance?
Also is this allowed or do all the kids have to be in year 6?
If you did, did it serve as an extra bit of incentive for the child?

Thanks
FluffyD

Re: Advance Open Evening

Post by FluffyD »

Yes we did, we went in Y4 and then again in Y5 (ours was held at the back end of the school year)
I went early so that I would be prepared, would know if I and DS liked the school and if it would be worth putting in all the effort that we have this last year.
Luckily for us he loved it, has worked hard (and not so hard) over the last year and his exams are next week.
It seems like we have been working toward these exam dates for a very long time and it doesn't seem real that they are actually here!
After we went for our second visit in July it spurred him on again to work harder and this summer he has been quite focused.

I would recommend going for an early visit then you don't waste time prepping for a school you don't actually like!
Vic x
fred

Post by fred »

Hi Vic

thanks for the reply. I called up one of the schools asking if we could bring our DCs (yr 5 in Sept) and was told that it only for kids taking the exam this september. I gess what I am asking is you were not checked at the gates?

Best of luck to you and DS for the exam.
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

No not at all, we just walked in. I can't see why the school woud take that stance though, ours was more than happy to let us go a year early, in fact it was their suggestion when I called asking a few questions.

Just try not to look too guilty when you walk in!!! :wink:
Vic x
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks Vic

I would keep a straight face
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi fred

We're in Bromley and went to some schools in Y5 and DS tagged along to one of the Bexley GS when DD was looking 2 years ago (he was Y4 at the time). I have read somewhere about visits being restricted to Y6 children but can't for the life of me remember where! If it comes back to me I'll re-post. It may have some of the selective schools restricting day time visits to those who have passed.

It's definitely worth getting some of them ticked off in y5 if you can. Otherwise, it can all be a bit frantic and there's the possibility of clashing dates if you're looking at more than one borough.

Was it a Bromley school out of interest?
fred

Post by fred »

Hi Bondgirl

I am looking at Bexley.

Interesting point raised in your post, as most/all of the open evening dates are after 10th October, by which time the results should have been received.
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Hi Fred. I think it is a good idea to go in yr 5 and again in yr 6 as you can be influenced by so many things - eg. the person showing you round, even the weather if it is a miserable day. As Bondgirl says if you have a lot of schools to visit then it is best to start early. I admit I only visited 2 schools when DS was in yr 5, one of which made me very depressed (though I know many children who go there and love it and so do their parents), the other which DS now attends and loves. DD is about to go into yr 5 and many parents from her primary are planning to start looking at schools this year, and I'm sure there are always plenty of yr 5 parents and children visiting schools. I have not actually been to any schools where they check which year your child is in - I suppose the grammars assume you have passed the 11+ because you are there but they too must be aware that people visit early.
Torty

Post by Torty »

We went round schools in Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6 ... again in the Bromley area ... and no-one minded and no-one questioned us. I found some schools had Open Days on the same day and by going a year in advance it means you can get to see more schools. I also liked the fact that DD could re-visit the ones she liked and find out more.

Good luck :)
Victoriapoggins

Post by Victoriapoggins »

Hi Fred,

My DD is in yr 6 & about to sit the entrance exams. I remember posting the same question as you, exactly a year ago!

I was so pleased to have come across this forum & the advise then, as it appears to be to you, is to attend the Open events a year in advance.

We found it enormously helpful - my DD had started tutoring but it was all theoretical. Seeing the schools was so positive & really has helped inspire my DD to focus & work hard towards her goal over the last 12 months.

Good Luck!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now