Travel clocks allowed ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PaterGloucester

Travel clocks allowed ?

Post by PaterGloucester »

DS2 is taking the test this time. When DS1 took it two years ago he was immediately under and to the left of the clock in the room, and couldn't allow for the parallax in the minute hand (at least that's that's his story). He wasn't given a 5minute/1minute warning, hence missed the last eight questions.

I want to give DS2 a small travel clock to take into the test. Is this allowed ?
faitaccompli

Re: Travel clocks allowed ?

Post by faitaccompli »

Could you not just let them wear a watch?
PaterGloucester

faitaccompli wrote:Could you not just let them wear a watch?
DS2 is a klutz, bless him, and we've rehearsed resetting his clock to 12 then gauging 45/50 minutes.

Clock sits on end of desk and is hard to ignore.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I would think a wrist watch would be OK. However, I would think that anything other than the approved pencil / rubber / sharpener would not be allowed.

Tell your son that if he can't see the clock before the exam starts, ask to be moved so he can see it!
Capers
PaterGloucester

capers123 wrote: Tell your son that if he can't see the clock before the exam starts, ask to be moved so he can see it!
Thanks Capers. We have established a routine of resetting our little clock, so that when the real test starts at, say, 13 minutes past the hour he doesn't get confused when he adds 45 minutes to 13 on the clock. He also knows that when he reaches quarter past he's one-third of the way through.

I can hear readers muttering that he should be able to work this out, but having had one child go through the test I know how nervous they can be on the day and want to keep everything very simple. Remember tests don't start neatly on the hour.

You probably know who I should ask to get a definite answer on the use of clocks. If so, please let me know !
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

Even if you got the testing centre to say "yes" to the clock, chances are the invigilator will remove it - I really would try to work out some other form of timing (or simply ask to move to a place where the clock can be seen). A relatively cheap watch can be set up and he can take it off and place it on the desk in front of him if necessary.
PaterGloucester

faitaccompli wrote:Even if you got the testing centre to say "yes" to the clock, chances are the invigilator will remove it - I really would try to work out some other form of timing (or simply ask to move to a place where the clock can be seen). A relatively cheap watch can be set up and he can take it off and place it on the desk in front of him if necessary.
Good advice – thanks.
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

DS just uses the stopwatch on his watch. This removes the added pressure on the day of working out the extre 45/50 minutes from the start of the exam.