Just one week to go ...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginx

Just one week to go ...

Post by ginx »

What should we practice most now? Strengths or weaknesses? I don't want to stress on weaknesses because I don't want my dd to feel she has no chance at all (only a slim chance).

Is NVR most important?
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Just one week to go ...

Post by DIY Mum »

NVR is worth 25% of the total marks.

In relation to the rest: it would appear that the new cloze with synonyms and antonyms are also 25% with 12.5% for comprehension and 12.5% for the other cloze (choose one from four). Maths also 25%.

Just to add, mine also has a slim chance. But I'm working on where she can gain the most marks. Good luck!

sss

Post by sss »

Hi DIY Mum

Do you feel this will be the how the percentages will be weighted for the various sections in the CEM exam?
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Yes, I think so. I'm basing this upon what I've learnt about the weighting of the comprehension marks (derived from a knowledgeable friend & a reliable source of information). :wink:

We also know from the marking introduced in 2010/11 that the English section is worth 50% of the marks.

Assuming what we know is true- the proportion of marks seem plausible.
Anyway, here's hoping that it will become more transparent in the future. :!:
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I think DIY Mum is Birmingham area (and I think sss is too). Ginx I know is is Warwickshire - If you look thorugh the old postings on Warwickshire somewhere you'll find a breakdown which gave the standardised score as coming approx 1/3 each from numerical reasoning (maths/data processing), NVR and what they call VR (cloze, comprehension and synonyms/antonyms). Different areas may give different weightings to te sections.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Okanagan, for reminding me there are approx a third from each part, for Warwickshire.

This is a horrid time. Back to school on Tuesday, every time we practice something I feel we should practice something else, when we're not practising I feel we should be ... one week.

I'm still far from confident but have noticed my dd has definitely learned a few things, which is good!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now