Help please, Advice needed.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FAVOUR

Help please, Advice needed.

Post by FAVOUR »

lives in sittingbourne but I would like son to sit medway test cos of transportation issues. However, I have been told that for RMGS at Rainham, this school has to be the first option on our form as they do not consider second choices even if he passes cut off point. Is this true, can anyone pls tell me what the recent cut of points for Rainham Mark GS have been.
Also is it advisable to put Borden grammar as second choice even though we live in Kent and when he passes, will he be given a space automatically,

Please help.
Cheers
Long Time Browser

Post by Long Time Browser »

Hi Favour,
My understanding is that the process changed in Kent last year and the schools are no longer made aware of where they are placed on the preference form. It's definitely correct for my part of Kent, so should be the case for you too?
Cheers
Suzie Q

Post by Guest »

Hello Favour
I can't comment on the RMGS position as I'm not in Medway.

As regards Borden, you have no automatic right to a grammar school place just because you pass the Kent test (11+). In practice, however, it is very likely that your son would get a place as the school does not seem to be oversubscribed. It will make no difference whether you place them first or second; they won't even know.
Peter

Post by Peter »

As you live in Sittingbourne, you complete the Kent CAF with three choices. Assume you were to put RMGS first and Borden second. If your son passed the Medway test, he would be considered for RMGS if he reached the cut off point. This year all pupils who passed the Medway test and were eligible for RMGS (it was their top listed grammar school) ended up with places there. Another year, if the school proved more popular, their cut off point could rise above the basic pass mark, as they select on highest scores. However, there are falling rolls in Medway. The Medway admission scheme is changing for next year, but this does not affect the above.

If he was not eligible for RMGS, and passed the Kent test, then he would almost certainly be offered a place at Borden as they have not been oversubscribed for years for there are insufficient children of a grammar school standard in Sittingbourne and district to fill the grammar schools.
katel

Post by katel »

I live near Sittingbourne too and we have just been through the process. Schools don't know what order you put them in, so you're safe there! Can I ask why you wouldn't choose Borden or QE in Faversham? The train journey to Faversham is really easy!