Train travel to SHSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

M&m

Train travel to SHSG

Post by M&m »

Hi Everyone

Can anyone out there please help me. My DD is starting SHSG on Tuesday and will be travelling by train to Southend Victoria and then by bus. My DD wants to do the journey on her own on Tuesday but does not know anyone else who is going that way. I would prefer to take her on her first day and wondered what any mum's of DD's already at the school did or if any new mum's will be travelling with their DD's on Tuesday.

thankgoditsover

Re: Train travel to SHSG

Post by thankgoditsover »

My DD will also be starting at SHSG on tuesday. On her first day I'll be taking her and picking her up but the following day she is taking the train, unfortunately she is on the other line to you. We did a practise run on friday and through a friend of a friend have arranged for her to meet up with another newbie at the station on wednesday. I've been told by friends with girls already at the school that there are always alot of girls coming in on the trains and buses and the older ones take the new ones under their wing, hopefully that will be the case. Have you done a practise run of the journey yet?
M&m

Post by M&m »

Hi Thankgoditsover

Thank you for your reply. Yes we did do a practive run back in May when my DD had a teacher training day. The journey was fine to Southend Victoria the problem came when getting the bus, we waited 45 minutes and didn't get to SHSG until 8.55!!! I really hope that we were just unlucky and normally the bus is reliable but I don't want DD to be late on her first day. At least if I'm with her and the bus is late we can grab a cab. Feeling the stress now, just want to do the best thing for my DD and she doesn't want to be the only one with her Mum on the train, which I can totally understand. Can't wait for tomorrow to be over now........ :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

When mine travelled on the train they used to carry £10 emergency cab money and a mobile phone. I went with them on the first day and so did lots of other parents.
moved

Post by moved »

The alternative to the bus is to walk from Southend Victoria to Southend Central and take the train to Thorpe Bay or Southchurch and walk.

The school is quite near both of those stations.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

M&m the train the majority of the girls travel on arrives Southend Vic about 7:55am. Buses your DD can catch include the 1 & 26B from just outside the station. You may have to wait up to 10mins. The bus stop is the furthest away from the main exit of the station with the traffic heading left (with your back to the station).
There are other options available but would just stick to above for the first day. The older girls don't start until 10am on first day but some may still travel in early so your DD can always tag along or just stick to above. On Wednesday all the girls will be on the 7:55am train. My DD gets on at Billericay along with many others and was only late twice last year as a result of train delays and not the bus. Good luck and I am sure your DD will enjoy her time at SHSG, mine loves it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now