English Comp. Tips

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shakey

English Comp. Tips

Post by shakey »

Any last minute English Comprehension tips (multiple choice type) as my DC seems to struggle with these?
Regards
ginx

Re: English Comp. Tips

Post by ginx »

Shakey

It's me again!

English comp is a weakness of my dd's.

We are trying to eliminate "silly" answers as our main practice, and look very hard in the text. Not much time now, though!
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Hey ginx. we meet again! we had a few mins this morning and went over a 10 min english exercise. I found that when I read out the passage, she instantly was able to answer the text. So, I'm thinking that she doesn't read the passage properly or is too fast and not getting the gist. Have tried getting her to chunk her reading and thoughts but we too are struggling in this area.

Not long to go now...kind of feel jealous of those who have finished and its done and dusted!

Good Luck
ginx

Post by ginx »

Good luck to you too, yummycool.

Might try reading short passage to my dd and get her to answer questions verbally, that's a good idea. I am just worried it's all too late, and then thinking why am I worrying, she is not nearly as good as dc on here who all sound like they are getting better marks in their practice papers at home.

Looking forward to Saturday afternoon ...
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Remember some people will give the same tests more than once - you would expect to see an increase in that case. If you are giving new material every time you'd see a different pattern of results. And it depends on whose papers you are talking about - the difficulty definately does vary.