What techniques can you use to check papers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11nuts

What techniques can you use to check papers?

Post by 11nuts »

Seem a bit hard to ask DS to reread the each question and answer, but we generally do not have many ways of checking answers.

Which techniques work best?
yummycool

Re: What techniques can you use to check papers?

Post by yummycool »

Hi 11nuts

Have been discussing the same with dd - she does not check her work - even when she has time at the end, I can see that she is simply relieved to be finished. She feels that once she's finished, she's done. I have tried getting her to pretend its not her work and that she is a teacher looking for mistakes in the work (this hasn't worked)

Tried saying that she is throwing away marks for not making sure that her work is correct...(not worked)

Asked her to use a technique to mark the ones she is doesn't feel confident with and to check again at the end (not worked)

I too am exhausted trying to convince dd how important it is to check her work.

I look forward to the posting on this subject.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

I have shamefully resorted to bribery - 10p for every error picked up and corrected. Problem now is that when trying to work 'to time' there is no checking time for VR.

Will be very very relieved when it's over.
Apple10

Post by Apple10 »

Dear All,
I remember being in your shoes a year ago. My dd was exactly the same with checking her work. I too had tried all methods incl. bribery.

What worked in the end......as something must have worked.....as she has stared hbs today....was to check for any questions omiited in the first instance, then re-do all the numerical ones in vr as this was her weakness and then anything else that she found difficult.

Obviously, she never got to do the checking this thoroughly but one she had adopted this method, her scores improved as the silly mistakes were picked up.

All the best to your dcs and hang in there, it is worth it in the end.
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

Its a difficult one.

The only technique is to just 'check' your answers.

There must be a better way!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't see how there can be? Checking is checking. Unless you get them to mark ones they had some doubts about, but that could take up valuable time.
11nuts wrote:Its a difficult one.

The only technique is to just 'check' your answers.

There must be a better way!
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now