1st day for Year 7s

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

UmSusu

1st day for Year 7s

Post by UmSusu »

The new year 7 parents are very quiet on here this year. No last minute questions? No queries about gum shields and football boots? School trousers? It seems you are all more organised and took it in your stride!

Anyway, good luck to ALL the new Year 7s in their respective schools. They have come out through a tough year (whatever the outcome of a single test was) and I wish them the best as they enter this new stage of life.

How did it go? My DS started yesterday but maybe not all schools?
UmSusu
Professor Yaffle

Re: 1st day for Year 7s

Post by Professor Yaffle »

Hi UmSusu

My DS started yesterday as well. Happy to report he had a great day and was keen to go back again today after some last minute nerves so a huge sigh of relief from me! :D I spent all day watching the clock and it went sooo slowly! Really glad that the first day is over tbh, so far, so good!

How was your DS first day?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Hello Professor Yaffle

Glad that all went well. It is very exciting and nerve-wracking : i watched the clock all day.

DS was really very nervous and had some anxieties over the entire holidays bullying, remembering things, detention etc but he loved his first day. The school only had year 7s and some sixth formers in yesterday, which I thought was a really good idea as they got a chance to explore the whole school without worrying about older pupils.

He said he was so nervous after we left him that his legs were shaking more than when we made him climb the step-ladder to help his dad during the holidays (all 1.2 metres of it :roll: ). But when he came out he was all smiles: he walked over to me, unashamedly leaned his head on my shoulder and said 'thank you mama for helping me pass the exam so that I could come here. I can't wait for tomorrow.' I didn't expect that and was so touched that he would still feel the need to thank me :D - if I wasn't in a public place, I would have cried.

I think they have already started to grow up.

UmSusu
UmSusu
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

My daughter had a great first day at KE H'worth. I went with her on the bus & a kind teacher from the school (who happened to be sitting behind us) made sure we didn't get off a stop too early! She got home fine on the bus with her friend and this morning she made her dad leave the stop before the bus arrived because 'I'm a big girl'.

It's not the first day I was dreading though. It's about half way through Week 5 when the homework and the early mornings really kick in...
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Oh Turtlegirl don't be a pessimist!

.......although I have to say that the day feels long. We live opposite our primary so we would often be leaving the door when the bell went. The walk home would take all of two minutes when they were with friends. DS seems quite exhausted now.

Glad your DD is feeling so brave.
UmSusu
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

My girl is super super confident (a school inspector told us 'the most confident child I've ever met') but also not that crash hot with getting up in the mornings. So easy beginnings were expected but come November it's going to be tricky. For all of us. The rubbish-in-the-mornings gene comes from me. I am thinking of taking out shares in coffee growers & matchstick makers :)
um

Post by um »

Ds2 was up at 6.30am today and yesterday 'getting ready' for school. He doesn't even need to leave the house until 8.15am! He is very disappointed that he doesn't have much homework at present :lol:
I am not sure quite how long this keenness will last but it seems to be partly fuelled by having spent over £10 in 2 days on school meals :shock: which I am trying to get a handle on...
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Turtlegirl wrote: I am thinking of taking out shares in coffee growers & matchstick makers :)
We'll have to join your scheme, Turtlegirl! :wink: My DS is already shattered :( after just two days of getting up early (we do leave early to avoid being stuck in the traffic jams and arriving late at school). Hopefuly, no homework so far... but I know that it won't last. I've heard that at BV, the HW has started from day 1, so we are enjoying our last days of sunshine and rest + chat... :lol:
um wrote:
having spent over £10 in 2 days on school meals :shock: which I am trying to get a handle on...

I am having exactly the same issue to tackle! :lol: :lol: I am glad he is not putt off by the school meals, but if he doesn't learn quiclkly to choose properly what to eat, I'll just send him with sandwiches... But I am sure it was just lack of awareness... and not asking the price of the topping for a jacket potato for example... The boy next in the queue had better reflexes. :)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Aargh, Bad Parent moment. I'd completely forgotten to top up dinner money :oops: (hm, didn't get a low balance reminder yesterday :? ). Luckily there seems to have been enough left for today.

I'll never get used to how much our son eats/spends. Wednesday is worst (roast dinner day I think), I imagine he must be sitting down to something like a medieval banquet or similar judging by the amount he spends then.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Hi All :D

Well my DS is having a fabulous time so far, and it's SUCH a relief! Lovely to hear others are also settling in happily!

Erm, UmSusu, how could you mention the dreaded MOUTHGUARD?!!! Just can't get it right, and for the first time in a long time, am very annoyed with my husband for not taking up his place in Dentistry many moons ago :lol:

My DS did blow a kiss this morn which shocked me. Bet that won't last long!