in panic mode.....anyone else feel the same?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yummycool

in panic mode.....anyone else feel the same?

Post by yummycool »

Emotions all over the place... confidence in dd is lowering...

She has overall made improvements in vr, nvr, english, but now its the maths that has gone downhill :( - we only have a couple of weeks to help her. With School starting, homework, routines are ruling...

The maths scores are now more 50% - not sure how this has happened...her confidence is waning and she is worrying a lot! I too am feeling weary and tired or thinking, planning, testing... selfish? - trying not to be but when you read the number applying.....you can't help wondering of the chances of success with this new problem in hand.

Hopefully I may feel different tomorrow...
Angie76

Re: in panic mode.....anyone else feel the same?

Post by Angie76 »

Hi Yummycool

Just wanted to say keep faith and stick with it. Your DC is probably just going through last minute jitters. Some kids who do extremely well in practice papers bomb out at the last minute and dont make the grade and there are always those that seem to lose it at the end who go onto to pass no problem. I cant say how your DC will do but am sure with little bits of work on techniques and often should hopefully help.
I would also let them do some very easy practice papers to boost confidence again as this could be whats making them panic.
I wish you lots of luck with this as i understand how you feel.
My DS takes his first test tomorrow so im feeling a little anxious this evening. I have 2 alarms set, checked car is full with fuel and working ok, breakfast table set etc so as to not be late. Am sure i will struggle to sleep but hopefully one day we will look back and realise we are just trying to give our children a great start in life. As parents we will always question if we are doing the right thing. I can't answer that as i dont't know but what i do know is we have to be there whatever the outcome and they will then survive anything.

Take care
Angie76

:)
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Hi Yummycool,

I can definitely relate to your post. The stress of it all has really hit me this week, I was OK when it was still holidays - I could kid myself the exam was still a long way off.

I think my DD is OK, she will be nervous on the day and that may mean she doen't focus as well as she could, but what will be will be.

We have not done enough work on writing, so I will have to get her to practice that over the next two weeks, with maths inbetween - but I don't want to freak her out!

I'm not hearing much in real life about prep for HBS, as not many go from our primary. Has anyone got any impressions of how the changes to the exams and timing have affacted peoples approch to preparation?
Tagore

Post by Tagore »

"I can't answer that as i dont't know but what i do know is we have to be there whatever the outcome and they will then survive anything."

Well said Angie76 - and the best of luck to your DS with his tests today.

Yummycool - what your dd is going through is quite natural and most children will have butterflies in their stomach as the exams approach. Most adults feel the same when taking exams and these are ten year olds! Of course they will question themselves, are they good enough, will they pass etc. and this will dent their confidence. With my dc I have stopped giving her the maths practice papers, about a week ago, and now concentrate on making up questions from past papers/books making sure that areas that need practice are included. Now that school has started, there are mini papers. If she gets something wrong, then it is discussed, and I will rephrase the question or create another one changing some of the numbers in a mini test two days later. I know this requires a lot of input from the parent, but that I have accepted that this goes with the territory. This was they do not get involved with %age marks. I do the same with English and often make up comprhension questions from newspaper articles.

We have looked at HBS and she is enrolled for the test. However, as parents, we are questioning if this is the right school for her. Winning a lpace is one thing. Once there, howvere, getting the most out of the school, keeping your place, keeping up with the pace etc. is quite another thing. As parent one has to question is the child will have sufficient time to explore other activities in a substantial way. This is just my own thought and not meant to invite debate from any HBS parent or hopeful.

Good luck with the preparation.
T
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi yummycool and everyone

Me too. Stressed out. She's not going to pass, there were 49 in her hall, probably ten or so will pass ... that won't be her. It's just the whole horrible experience.

Inevitably there will be post mortems which are bound to be worrying too. I spent last week avoiding mums, having listened to some of them. One of them is 100% sure her daughter will pass - before the exam is completed! I do not understand. Because I never say anything about my daughter (bad manners to brag, apart from on here!), because she is quiet I suppose, mums always assume she is in lower groups and assume she has no chance. That is beginning to annoy me. Other mums tell me how much practice they've done; although I have to say some mums have done virtually none, others assumed it was just verbal and nonverbal reasoning, didn't realise there was any maths or english in the exam. I've avoided them!

An hour to go till I collect dd2. I just hope she is ok, diabetes ok too (that was an issue after amazingly high readings last night - I think she was nervous, although she said she wasn't).

I still think it's worse being a parent, worrying about it all! I don't even care that much if she passes, I just want her to be with her friends! I can't do anything about that, either!

Oh, someone, hurry up 13 Oct when we just know and can get on with life!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

YES! Fortunately, in Kent the tests are next week, so this time next week, we'll be free!
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Thank you to everyone who has posted and supported us today.

We took the whole day off to recharge our batteries no work was done today - really needed some fun in the sun. DD thanked me when we got home and said it was really nice to spend time as a family and no work! she even went on to say that she wanted to work twice as hard tomorrow! (didn't see that coming).

I would like to wish everyone the very best as I believe that we all have a chance. Felt deflated yesterday and today feel much better..whatever is in my dd's destiny will come her way no matter what we do or don't cover. We have tried our best and this is where we stand today.

Good Luck everyone and the kindest best wishes to all.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Yummycool

Thanks for all support. Our exam is done. DD didn't do all that well ... left out about a third of the paper I think ... but who knows.

I believe in destiny too. If it's meant to be ...

Good luck
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Well that test number 1 done out of 4 and I feel so much better this evening. Sadly the stress I'm sure will return end of next week ready for test 2.
However this evening and tomorrow we are going to chill. My DS came out smiling so just hope that he remains happy and confident throughout. Only time will tell though as to whether he passes.
Good Luck everyone and it will all soon be a distant memory. Be happy in knowing that you are giving your DC's a chance and what will be will be x x x

Angie76
:D
Disney-Mum

Post by Disney-Mum »

Angie76 wrote:Well that test number 1 done out of 4 and I feel so much better this evening. Sadly the stress I'm sure will return end of next week ready for test 2.
However this evening and tomorrow we are going to chill. My DS came out smiling so just hope that he remains happy and confident throughout. Only time will tell though as to whether he passes.
Good Luck everyone and it will all soon be a distant memory. Be happy in knowing that you are giving your DC's a chance and what will be will be x x x

Angie76
:D
1 out of 4 for us too - He came out of exam smiling and then we went off and did family things. His next exam isn't til the 22nd, so a few days off to recover now! My son has SEN so it was worrying for me (he doesn't seem to be slightly bothered though) What will be will be - I feel I am doing the right thing by trying the exams, good practice for future schooling wherever he goes!

Good luck everybody!
x