Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shahinoor

final advice to parents

Post by shahinoor »

here is my final advice to parents
My top 3 advice tips

1) I follow the opinion the night before your child needs plenty of rest and not worth teaching any new topics...it is better their brain works well during te exam and they don't make stupid mistakes

2) Arrive really early for the exam...last year there was a scamble for parking and some kids turned up late ...poor for confidence for the kids

3) make sure the child has good exam technique eg do the easy questions first, if they are stuck or qn is taking a long time leave it out and come back and guess if necessary. (last year a kid I was tutoring missed out 5 questions because of being too slow on Questions - still passed though)
fred

Re: final advice to parents

Post by fred »

Hi Shahinoor,

sound advice.

In your experience what is/are the best ways to cut down on silly mistakes in maths?
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

practice
practice
practice
makes perfect.......
Victoriapoggins

Post by Victoriapoggins »

Also turn up at the right school! Very unfortunately at the Kent practise test on Sat, I saw a Dad with mystified son, leaving Wilmington Grammar School for GIRLS, having not checked letter/location properly. Heaven only know's if he managed to get to the Boys school on time. Thank goodness it was the test run - but seriously just worth double checking all details.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

That's a very good point VP. Two years ago, when DD sat the Bexley test, a boy from her school turned up at the wrong Bexley school to sit the test (he'd being given a lift with a child from another school who was sitting the test at this other school). Luckily for him, they let him sit the first test at the "wrong" school and he had to go to the right school on day 2. Beggars belief really!
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Yep, we saw the same thing a couple of years ago with a girl we knew dropped off at DGS - luckily only on the practise day and she did get to DGGS on time (just about!)
mumofonetoo

Post by mumofonetoo »

I was there on Saturday and saw a solitary boy in the queue...at least it was only the practice test - his Dad won't make that mistake again!