Crying and children being sick advice....

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
countrymum

Crying and children being sick advice....

Post by countrymum »

Hi, feeling much more upbeat after some great support on here regarding DD's mock and as such my DD is also feeling (with only 4 days to go) relaxed, happy and getting through the last of her papers very well. What will be, will be on the day and either way am very proud.

Anyway have heard lots and lots about children crying on the day, being sick, hyperventilating etc etc. Now of course whose to to say this won't be my child on the day but looking at it from the angle that it wont be her, any tips/advice on how to distract her from any of that. Obviously I want her as focused as possible but feel very nervous about all this crying/sickness stuff. Of course I have empathy with it it all and understand why it happens but with my DD being of a sensitive disposition a little, and very caring I can see her getting distracted witnessing girls crying and being distressed.

Any tips to focus her mind and how to not get involved in any of it. Like I say who knows what will happen on the day and how she shall feel, but we have talked about the crying/sickness thing and she says she shall be fine.
Last edited by countrymum on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okanagan

Re: Crying and children being sick advice....

Post by Okanagan »

I'd not say it never happens - but I suspect that there's an element of urban myth about this. I didn't see any evidence of it (and he didn't report any) among the 110-ish kids in the same hall when ds did his last weekend.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Okanagan wrote:I'd not say it never happens - but I suspect that there's an element of urban myth about this. I didn't see any evidence of it (and he didn't report any) among the 110-ish kids in the same hall when ds did his last weekend.
Thanks, that is reassuring. I wonder if is more prevalent in girls? I do know of one or two being physically sick in exams in previous years by chatting to parents I know of girls who have been in the exam and seen it, so yes it must happen.
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

Yes, although I didn't hear about it from DS (who presumbly was concentrating so didn't notice!), apparently a couple of years ago another child was put off by a child making a whistling sound during the exam. They tried to attract the attention of the invigilator to this but were unable to do so. Not heard of crying or being sick though...
mystery

Post by mystery »

How about a pair of wax ear plugs, blinkers and a nose peg? That should screen out most problems with other candidates. Then for the candidate who fidgets so much that your child's desk vibrates while they are trying to put the multiple choice slash in the right box, how about training your child to put up their hand and shout "I can feel earthquake tremors, and it looks like that child over there is the epicentre, get them out of the room please!"
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My DS did tell me a boy today was distracting him by slurping his drink plus they were sharing a table which I hope will not be happening on the day. I just told him to ignore it, as talking to the invigilator will just mess up your child's timings.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

mystery wrote:How about a pair of wax ear plugs, blinkers and a nose peg? That should screen out most problems with other candidates. Then for the candidate who fidgets so much that your child's desk vibrates while they are trying to put the multiple choice slash in the right box, how about training your child to put up their hand and shout "I can feel earthquake tremors, and it looks like that child over there is the epicentre, get them out of the room please!"
I should probably be a bit more grown up about your reply mystery but it didn't half make me chuckle :lol: Thank you :D I can see DD now wearing the nose peg! I think it was two years ago I heard that someone was sick but it wasn't cleaned up until a break, so a bit wiffy I'd imagine. Anyway we have been playing our little 'distraction games' at home when she is doing her papers. Hopefully if there are any 'distractions' on the day she'll have had them covered at home :wink:
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

christmasbonus wrote:Yes, although I didn't hear about it from DS (who presumbly was concentrating so didn't notice!), apparently a couple of years ago another child was put off by a child making a whistling sound during the exam. They tried to attract the attention of the invigilator to this but were unable to do so. Not heard of crying or being sick though...
Ah whistling, I imagine that would be right annoying!
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

scarlett wrote:My DS did tell me a boy today was distracting him by slurping his drink plus they were sharing a table which I hope will not be happening on the day. I just told him to ignore it, as talking to the invigilator will just mess up your child's timings.
Thanks Scarlett, 'ignore, ignore, ignore' best advice I think for the day. Good luck for your DS.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Doesn't take long to yell at the invigilator! :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now