Question on the English paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
campergirl

Question on the English paper

Post by campergirl »

DD has been sitting some properly timed past papers and also going through some bond books. My question is regarding some of the questions where there is more than one possible answer, i give this simple example:

Write six synonyms of the word 'said'?

The answers given were cried, exclaimed, laughed, replied, shouted, thought (at the top of the answer sheet it says possible answers to most of these questions are given in italics).

DD put asked, explained, told, informed, wondered, chanted.

I googled synonyms of said and 5 of her 6 were right (not chanted). Now if this type of question comes up will the marker have a more extensive list for the answers of will just 6 answers be on their sheet and if it's not one of those they don't get a mark. :shock:

I'm really worried that they could be penalised in this way. :(

Thanks
ourmaminhavana

Re: Question on the English paper

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Campergirl, please try not to worry, I'm sure they couldn't possibly limit it to six synonyms. As you have pointed out there are many others thatare equally as valid. Good luck to your DD! :)
moved

Post by moved »

Not the sort of question that is likely to come up om the Essex paper as generally there is only one answer per question.
campergirl

Post by campergirl »

Phew!

Proves that the Bond books are not all that helpful them! :shock:

Thanks guys x
moved

Post by moved »

Bond are great for bits of grammar, parts of speech and, of course, comprehension. Just not the same format. Lots of cheap, timed papers too.

Didn't mean this to be an ad for Bond, just pointing out that they have their uses!