CAT in year 7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nina1on

CAT in year 7

Post by nina1on »

Dose anyone know websites where you could practice this CAT? I tried to search on Google but could not find it
thanks a lot
I know you cant be taught for CAT but just to show my DS how it will look like...
Okanagan

Re: CAT in year 7

Post by Okanagan »

Does this help:
http://www.testingforschools.com/help/CAT3-guidance.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber

Post by Amber »

As I think someone has already pointed out on your other thread, these tests are not supposed to be revised for, or practised. I can't think doing so would confer any advantage anyway, but they are not designed in that way. They are administered so that schools have some kind of idea of your child's baseline abilities, so it is in your best interests to ensure that they are as accurate as possible and your child takes them on the same basis as everyone else. I really wouldn't give this a second thought, in fact I am a bit surprised you even know it is going to happen as most schools just do them without announcing it.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nina1on

Post by nina1on »

Thank you. Okanagan. I will check this web site.
The school sent us a letter saying that the kids will be having CAT test this week, that is how I know. And personally, I do belive in preparation only- you can not leave it to the chance!At least seeing the format of the test or knowing what to expect is a big help for 11 years child.
daveg

Post by daveg »

nina1on wrote: I do belive in preparation only- you can not leave it to the chance!
I always teach my children the letters on the eye chart before they go to the optician's. You can't leave these things to chance, and I think they should do well in this important test.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

I can see some point to not preparing for the tests, as it can give a false baseline and over optimistic targets.

However many schools use this test to set or stream and to be in the higher of two possible sets can be a real advantage. These forums are established so that parents can prepare their children to better than they otherwise would do and therefore gain admission to a selective or partially selective school. Therefore there seems little difference trying to ensure your child gets into the top set in that school.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

As I inferred in the other thread on this topic as and others have made clear here, I think those who believe that preparing for CATS is a good idea are completely missing the point! Has daveg's brilliant example- :lol: - not made you realise how positively unhelpful to both your DC and the school this course of action would be?
Amber

Post by Amber »

daveg wrote:
nina1on wrote: I do belive in preparation only- you can not leave it to the chance!
I always teach my children the letters on the eye chart before they go to the optician's. You can't leave these things to chance, and I think they should do well in this important test.
Fantastic. :lol:

Sorry, rarely am I this blunt: but please!
This is a nonsense. Your poor child does not need to be familiarised with the test, it is self-defeating, it is basically a kind of IQ test, the rest of the country is sitting it with no preparation or familiarisation and your child is no different. I have never ever known CATs to be used for setting, streaming, culling or anything other than providing a bit of baseline data on a child. I doubt you can much change a score anyway, and if your child were to end up in 'the wrong set' it would soon become apparent. Please. :?
nina1on

Post by nina1on »

It is silly to teach your child the letters before the visit to optician! Not a good example, you don’t want your child to be hit by a bus just because he did not get glasses…but to familiarise him with the test- there is nothing wrong with that. And, sorry, I am not trying to argue here it is just my way of thinking. I came across this before when the child is put to the lower group- there is a slight chance he will get out. Because time wise- when the lower group…well, on the lower level, the stronger group will go even further! Had experience in my school before, so, I am not buying this: put your child to the level where he can cope! There must be a challenge in learning, you have to follow smarter kids … and nobody has died from learning anyway. And I am wondering how these Chinese kids manage playing two instruments, be top in math…English ..and who knows what. Definitely not from lack of tuition!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now