Does anyone have a rest day?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mama2

Does anyone have a rest day?

Post by Mama2 »

Hi
We finally relocated after a horrendous move about two weeks ago. My DD is going to try the test even though we don't feel prepared at all. So fingers crossed.

Anyway, at her new school yesterday one of the Mums said her daughter is staying off today for a rest day. Is this what everyone does?
I'm sending my daughter because she is already nervous and I think keeping her off today would just amplify her nerves and anxiety.

Have I got that wrong?, do people have a rest day prior to test?
Being new to Kent and the 11+ I thought I should check
Thanks
neveragain*

Re: Does anyone have a rest day?

Post by neveragain* »

Hi mama2, very best of luck to your DD tomorrow.
I have never given my children a "rest" day, I think a normal day at school without my nerves jangling around them, was definetely preferable! I would also be concerned that it put too much pressure on them re the importance of passing. Of course, I hope for an early night, and a relaxed evening as well as a good breakfast but that is as fAr as our restfulness goes. I'm sure thought that this is a deeply personal choice, and we all know our own DC and ourselves.......but I think for us it was the right decision.
Will be thinking of you all!
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

We are having a rest day as in not doing any more revision but I am not keeping him off school. Like neveragain I think it would be more stressful to be at home with me! Hoping for an early night after a brainfood supper though lol
GPmum

Post by GPmum »

A rest day?? Can't see how it would help, they will be far better being at school with their friends and having some play time, surely?

No rest day in this part of Kent. :!:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

No rest day here either...mainly as it would affect the amount of time I could spend on here. :P
mystery

Post by mystery »

Dunno. I'm sure most people don't take a day off school but I guess when the time comes for me, if she sleeps in late the day before I won't wake her up and we could be late for school if that fits with my commitments for the day.

I'm sure in general though that business as usual is better so that the nerves don't set in, unless the children at school who they are sitting it with are particularly stressy.

Good luck everyone.
raymae

Post by raymae »

My young man sat a verbal test yesterday after school, I wanted to get in another maths and nvr, But having second thoughts on that seeing as the big day is coming up. (or two days rather) Making him sit another two full papers tonight may just be far too draining and stressful for him. So gonna run through a couple of mixed short tests that cover all 3 subjects that ive found online x
mystery

Post by mystery »

I can't see that anyone can learn anything useful the night before an 11plus test. Sleep seems more important to me.
Mama2

Post by Mama2 »

Thanks for replies.
That's what I thought. Sent DD into school anyway and she has come out a bag of nerves and shattered from not sleeping very much last night!

Plus side, I'm hoping she will be so tired tonight that combined with a bath, early night and loads of reassurance she will sleep! And be ready for tomorrow!

Where's the wine and chocolate!

P. s when do results come out and are they posted to your home or do they get sent to the school ?

Many thanks
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

Mama2 wrote:
P. s when do results come out and are they posted to your home or do they get sent to the school
If you applied on-line for the Kent Test then results will be emailed to you after 4pm on 17th October, the letter is also posted out to you first class that day.

School are aware of the results from around the beginning of October and then the Head Teacher can do any Head Teacher review (or is it appeal?) for children they feel should have passed.

Good luck to your child for the next two days - hope all goes well.