Prepping for grammar school? Is year 3 too early?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Temitope

Prepping for grammar school? Is year 3 too early?

Post by Temitope »

My dd is in year 3 and she achieved level 3 at the end of year 2. I know she is exceptionally bright and this has been confirmed by her teachers but not sure I can call her gifted. I really want her to go to either a grammar school or an independent school. I work but I cannot afford school fees for independent school. So I'm left with the option of grammar school. Shall I start preparing her now or is it too early? Her older sister is in year 5, she achieved level 4 in her literacy but 3 in her Maths at the end of year 4. I am preparing her for grammar school. I am aware my older dd is not as bright as her sister. The question again is, is year 3 too early to prepare her for grammar school? We live in the catchment area for Latymer. Thank you.
mystery

Re: Prepping for grammar school? Is year 3 too early?

Post by mystery »

I guess it depends what you mean by prepping, and I'm not sure what Latymer entrance entails. If you think that your child is not covering what is needed at school (e.g. in maths) then I think it's worth doing a bit extra from time to time from as early as you wish so that you don't have a mad panic towards the end.

Some primaries you can let go, and pretty much just concentrate on 11plus technique close to the time, others you need to be a bit more careful. If the Latymer exam is just pure IQ and not preparation dependent then you can pretty much sit back, but if it's not then I'd start at least looking what it entails so you can plan an appropriate course of action.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

With a Y3 child I'd be inclined to simply make sure the basics are covered. Tables, number bonds, reading etc. I'd leave 11+ specific prep until later. I don't know what is required in the Latymer test, though. If you are really keen to make a start and the test involves VR/NVR you may want to consider introducing these via the appropriate age Bond book (even if Bond does not use the exact same types of question as the Latymer test). I certainly wouldn't consider engaging a paid tutor for a Y3 DC just for 11+ prep. What do other parents in your area do?
Temitope

Post by Temitope »

I think I'm panicking because of the hype of Latymer and I want to be fully prepared. Latymer does NVR assessment and the children that passed will then have the second assessment of Maths and English. Out of over a thousand children they will only take 186 children. My dd2 is keen to start because her sister is preparing at present. I am just worried that it might be too early for her.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

IMHO it's way too early! Think of the pressure!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yes.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well it all depends what you mean by pressure, and what you mean by prep. I dunno. No straightforward answer either way. You know about Latymer if the older one is doing it. Is there something where you think "if I'd done this or this earlier it would have been less stressy now?" and then do that with DD2 in a fun way? Nice that she's keen.
Temitope

Post by Temitope »

Thanks y'all. I'm just thinking maybe if I had started earlier with dd1 then I wont be panicking now. This is because my blood pressure goes up every time I read a post on Latymer on the forum :) . Also I heard Woodford County girls has one of the toughest tests in the country and I want dd1 to do teh tests as well. Aint I just a pushy mum? :oops:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

too early!

play word games, count lots, help her learn her tables and talk to her..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now