Advise Needed - Tension, Depression, Panic Increasing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sonia

Advise Needed - Tension, Depression, Panic Increasing

Post by Sonia »

Hi Moderators/ Seniors,

First of all thanks to all the Moderators (Patricia, Sally Anne), Seniors and the forum members.

I need your advice as with each day passing both mine ay DD daughter's tension is increasing

She has done lots and lots of practise papers ( AE Tution, IPS, AFN, Tutors, Learning Labs, GL PK 1, GL PK 2, WALSH Series, First Past the Post VR etc ) (Ranging from 85% to 94% , in WALSH Paper 1 she scored 94% and rest of WALSH & First past the post in the range of 75% to 85%. We found WALSH and First Past the Post series harder than the rest)

She has given 4 mocks again ranging 80% to 88%.

Her school reopened from Sept 6 and she started to do silly more mistakes, which is adding more to my tension.

Vocabulary is her weakest area , but the silly mistakes in the maths, algegra, coding questions is making my situation worse.

DD is May born and shes needs atlest 87% (70/80) in the test to qualify for GS.

Also please recommend me the best upper school for girls in the Bucks or any particular link or post to check the ranking of teh upper schools

I dont know what to do? As always I will be extremely thankful for the suggestions of the Moderators and seniors.

:? Sonia :?
Last edited by Sonia on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ourmaminhavana

Re: Advise Needed - Tension, Depression, Panic Increasing

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Sonia, I'm sorry I'm not a mod or someone senior, but I can see that you're on line and I just wanted to say please try not to worry. By all means vent here, but please try to stay calm anywhere near your DD. I know it's so difficult but I'm sure your DD will pick up on it and it will only exacerbate the situation...
The good news is that you have done all that you can. You know that your DD is well prepared. You're also looking for alternatives in case she doesn't secure a place where you hope which is a really good idea. That's all you can do. It's very hard when you've no more control over the situation. Very good luck to you and your DD. I seem to remember that wine and chocolate helped at around this time of year, as well as many others tbh! :lol:
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I'm not a moderator and no idea whether I qualify as a senior, but my advice is this:

Try and relax. You being tense will transmit to your daughter and helps neither of you. It is perhaps what is leading to the mistakes. It sounds as if she is well prepared and you will have to trust that preparation and continue it in a calm manner. It is my opinion that Bucks is blessed with some good upper schools, some of which are very good, so there is no need to fear your daughter attending one of them. Continue your preparation but I would suggest that the best thing you can do is ensure your daughter understands the relative importance of the 11+. It's important she does her best and that is all you can ask of her, but not getting the qualifying score is not a disaster.

Take a look at each upper school and read their Ofsted reports. Do what you can to sit them as options alongside the grammar schools, that way your daughter sees the opportunities afforded by each school. I'm sure she will want to get the score and have the option of a GS place but you must not transmit a "grammar or bust" mentality because that is a heavy burden for a 10/11 year old to bear.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I suspect she is tired - going back to school is exhausting after the summer and it takes a couple of weeks to get 'back to normal'.

Also look at the allocation profiles for the Uppers - some are very popular and there would be no point in putting it on the CAF if you do not live near.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sonia, please don't panic! You remind me a little of a poster from last year. Not getting into GS really isn't the end of the world. Please read Tree's post about his daughter (I will edit later to include the link). You are lucky compared to some areas who have had the exams as soon as they have gone back to school. Your daughter is getting good scores and I'm sure she will settle down and remember everything she has learnt when she sits the test.

Don't panic (easy for me to say as I don't have any going through it this year 8) )

Here it is:http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=27146
scary mum
FeelingSick

Post by FeelingSick »

Feeling full sympathy with you.

My DD is getting v. het up about everything. I know I'm not helping, but I'm trying.

Also trying to help oldest apply to Uni this month so September is turning out to be horrendous, not to mention I get another year older in a couple of weeks! Son also embarking on final year of GCSEs.

I'm trying to take the advice others are giving you, even though my DD isn't as well prepared. I suspect she'll be in 70% who don't pass.

But child above didn't take 11+ but has gone on to get AAAA at AS level, son also didn't do 11+ and got A*, A*, A* for first science modules. It isn't the end of the world although, frankly its horrible and far far too much pressure for a 10yr old to cope with.

Almost wish I hadn't bothered.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now