Ds didn't turn Page over

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
safaza

Ds didn't turn Page over

Post by safaza »

My ds is devastated as didn't turn Page in verbal so missed out on maybe 12-14 questions.
Is there still a chance if the rest of paper was completed quite easily.
Umm4

Re: Ds didn't turn Page over

Post by Umm4 »

Safaza
Assuming your ds has completed the rest of the papers, he should be in for a fair chance. My son missed out about 10-20 questions in the 11+ exam last year (after months of anxiety) he still got a place at KE Aston. A colleague's daughter also missed out the last page of one of the papers last yr and yet managed to get a place at KE Handsworth.
:D
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
Ds didn't answer all the questions yesterday, I don't think many children would have answered every single question and got them all right... Just have to hope that what they did answer they got correct!!!
k98k

Post by k98k »

Hi safaza, my daughter also missed the same question on the paper due to not turning the page, she was beside herself on the weekend. Your son was not the only one to have missed the PTO at the bottom.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

My DS did exactly the same thing last year and he passed very comfortably! So please DON'T despair. Good luck! ***
sss

Post by sss »

My dd said she missed out quite a lot of questions from Saturdays paper.
However she is fairly confident on the questions she answered. I think we need to have faith in our dc on their answers (on questions done) being correct.
These CEM tests are VERY time restrictive & I would doubt that hardly anyone would have answered every question let alone get them all right.
I may have mentioned it earlier but I've been reliably informed that getting a raw score of 60%-65% would give your child a good chance of a place in a GS. In fact it has been said that a raw score of around 65% would give you a SD score around 114-116. This is enough for KEFW & KECHG (but probably not for KECHB).
These numbers are subject to slight variations of course dependent on several statistical factors - factors I find somewhat difficult to understand personally.
Maybe the like of KenR, Mike 1880, Okanagan, vza et al can fill in the blanks or even correct me if they feel I'm slightly off the mark.
Regards
sss
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

sss, 65% should be ok for KECHB. 60% for KECHG / FW. Around 55% for KEVIHS.

Dd2 answered all the questions with a minute left over to check her maths but I doubt she got even half of them right. :roll:

A couple of years ago, ds1 missed out 1/3 of the cloze and obtained KECHB. As long as they do well in 2 areas and half in another, they should be fine.
safaza

Post by safaza »

Thankyou so much for your comments. dd is feeling much better ( sorry I put ds in first post - wasn't thinking straight) she found that most her friends made the same mistake as she did. At least she is smiling again. It's a relief to know she still has a chance. I was told by a parent who is supposed to be a good friend that a child needs 90% to get into kechg
Which totally blew me away.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

safaza wrote:Thankyou so much for your comments. dd is feeling much better ( sorry I put ds in first post - wasn't thinking straight) she found that most her friends made the same mistake as she did. At least she is smiling again. It's a relief to know she still has a chance. I was told by a parent who is supposed to be a good friend that a child needs 90% to get into kechg
Which totally blew me away.
Don't be so hard on your friend :D . Although some people play such mind games I think most people genuinely do believe that about these exams.
UmSusu
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
I hope you are feeling better about it all.
I agree with umsusu people some people are far too interested in mouthing off without really knowing what they are talking about. Where such young children are concerned I think the parents have a responsibility to be sensitive and cautious. We are all int he same boat and no one really knows anything until the results arrive.
I'm still annoyed with the 'friend' who told Ds that her son found it easy and answered every question, I wish I had been there!!!
In a perfect world everyone that wants a place would get one but in reality there will be the lucky ones and also the kids that just miss out, however much they deserve it :(
Still got fingers crossed for all our kids!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now