Kent school buses for year 7 2013-14

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Kent school buses for year 7 2013-14

Post by mystery »

Someone told me the other day that they had read in some Kent booklet or other (don't know which one) that for year 7s starting in September 2013-14 there will be no dedicated school buses, that they will have to catch the normal public buses.

Is this true, and how will it work? Unless there are more public bus services there won't be enough seats surely, and it would take much longer to get to school e.g. if instead of having a school bus which went straight down the A21 from the A25 to Tunbridge Wells you have to get a public service bus stopping every where on the way in between the Sevenoaks area and Tunbridge Wells, it would be an interminably long journey.

If it's correct, please can you point me to the correct document.

Thanks
scarlett

Re: Kent school buses for year 7 2013-14

Post by scarlett »

I read something similar on the Bennett website..but I think it was more to do with the funding taken away and so having to pay for the transport..unless it's a public bus and then you will need to use a freedom pass.
mystery

Post by mystery »

If it's true, isn't it something that should affect people's school choices now? If you compare the bus journey a child is getting now on a dedicated school bus with how long it will take on a public service bus (particularly if you might have to wait for the next bus because the buses are very full of schoolchildren) then you might make the wrong school choice on the CAF this October?

It's rather more significant in a way than the argument about the cost of a Freedom Pass. Is it true?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

There's nothing on the KCC website ...just the usual section on bus passes . There was something on Kentonline a year ago . I think you might need to make one of your phone calls and then report back :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

OK I have phoned up, but spoke to a go-between rather someone in the school transport section. Apparently it is true in some way. You should have received some information alongside or inside the admissions booklet for 2013-14 which explains about cuts to dedicated school bus services. It's not available on the website apparently.

I'm confused so I'm going to e-mail homeschooltransport@kent.gov.uk
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Haven't received my admissions booklet yet. Shall have a look when I do ( must be soon ?) and let you know. Strange it's not on the website. Anyway, don't start on this as your new campaign , Mystery...might need you to stay focused for my problems. :P
mystery

Post by mystery »

Gosh, really no admissions booklet yet? How come? How can you be expected to plan your school visits etc and make wise choices for October completion if you haven't been sent a booklet yet?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Perhaps it's screwed up in the bottom of DS school bag adorned with a squashed banana. Will just have to do my own thing, as usual.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It's on the website, but not this extra stuff about transport. I think it might be making some people re-think their preferred options. I'm not sure if it really makes any difference until I see the written blurb.
LtBrick

Post by LtBrick »

Regarding the admission book. We were told yesterday by DS's school that you had to apply for one, they were not being sent out automatically.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now