SEN at University

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chad

SEN at University

Post by chad »

Hi All,
My son has decided he wants to try for university, therefore am looking for some advice as to whether to formalise my son's diagnosis of 'somewhere on the autistic spectrum'. He is currently in Year 12.

Most professionals he has come into contact with have concluded that he has Aspergers. Academically he has high NV skills, low VR skills and testing very low for 'working memory'... the last one being completely at odds with high functioning on other tests.

His lack of social understanding and his 'literal' take on anything said to him are his main problems.

Luckily I have the understanding and patience to deal with any problems as they arise which has meant he has been able to attend mainstream school and achieve extremely well.

If he moves away from home (which is something he has aspirations to do) he will need some support. Do you think a formal diagnosis would assist him in getting the support he will need.
If so, any ideas on the best way to achieve this?

Thanks
Chad
Belinda

Re: SEN at University

Post by Belinda »

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeo ... g_10034898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This link explains the funding for support at university. To access it your DS will need an (up-to-date) assessment of his needs. DD ended up having two needs assessments. One assessing her actual special need; the other for assessing how much, and the nature of, support.

You will need a formal diagnosis. Transfer to uni, and support, will be easier if your son already has his assessment and additional needs set out. That said uni might do their own anyway if yours is not by an appropriate (authorised) body/psychologist. DD's assessment of needs was out-of-date by the time she got to uni and we had to pay for another one. The payback in support though is worth it ten-fold! DD has found special needs support at university to be fantastic.
Good luck.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chad

Post by chad »

Thanks Belinda...... your comments have made up my mind to push for an assessment.

I am having a meeting with SEN at the school next week and taking it from there.

Hopefully it wont be too hard a process.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Post by KB »

My daughter also had problems getting support at Uni because they wanted an updated report as did Student Finance for the DSA application.

Do make sure you contact Student Finance early on to check what is needed.

It is obviously a major issue in considering Uni choices so would aloso contact the Student support/disability centre at different Universities being considered. There are differences between them.

Without knowing any details I would also consider carefully the option of moving away from home. I know of several people in a similar situation where the moving away was just too much. in one case they then managed to transfer to a place near to home and eventually moved into shared accommodation later in the course.

Hope it goes well.
goinggetstough

Post by goinggetstough »

We have just gone through the process and it was amazingly straightforward once we had a post age 16 ed psych report and in our case also a letter from the consultant.
For those who have children about to depart to university do get them to approach their SEN department ASAP as it takes longer at this time of you.

For those who hope to go to university in 2013 in my opinion it is worth starting this process as soon as possible. We started it in January and had it all confirmed by June. This included student finance confirming he was entitled to DSA, attending a special needs assessment to see what equipment could help him and what human input could help. His equipment will be delivered next week and he will also receive the training on the equipment before he starts at university in 10 days time.
Once it had all been agreed he chose not to have his equipment delivered until he had his university place confirmed. If you have the equipment delivered before starting at university you can be liable for the cost of the equipment if you don't start at university.

All this process depends on SFE and takes time and does not depend on the individual university. They merely provide the student support when the student arrives. This can vary slightly. I am really glad to hear Belinda that your DD has received excellent support I shall keep my fingers crossed that my child has the same experience.... Only time will tell!!!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »