Thumb Twiddling!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nicolajane1971

Thumb Twiddling!

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Is anybody else counting the weeks,days and hours until October 15th?

Really don't want to wish my/DS life away but can't help it!

Does anybody know when the second exam is? It'll feel good (or not) to compare notes on 'alleged' content.

DS seems to have forgotten all about our mad 8 week dash to prepare for the 11 plus, on the plus side getting him to do his homework has never been so easy!!
CaptainCaveman

Re: Thumb Twiddling!

Post by CaptainCaveman »

Isn't it "the week starting October 15th"? I sincerely hope the results are delivered on that day rather than at the end of the week, as we will going away for half term at the end of the week. Let's hope Royal Mail doesn't let us down.

Does anyone know if the results can be emailed instead of posted?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

A lot of thumb twiddling here too! It feels like the crisis leading up to the exams is over but things are not back to normal yet.

As for the results the KE foundation are always a law unto themselves: they have said the results are coming in the week commencing the 15th by post. So I doubt they will consider email - they will probably try to post them out on that day, if not the next, and then it will be up to good old Royal Mail as to when they deliver them. Don't want to disappoint you caveman but I would be very surprised if they arrive before Wednesday or Thursday - not that it will stop me staring at the letterbox or asking the neighbours if they got my mail :D

Well, at least we have all these open evenings to look forward to. They may take our minds off things although it seems a bit cruel to take DC now just in case we make them love something they cannot get into.
UmSusu
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

I contacted admissions to ask about emailing results as ago away on 13th and not back till 27th which won't give us much time to make decisions etc.
The response was no!!
I did think it was a long shot so will have to ask family member to collect post and text us results.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Thank your lucky stars the system has changed and you don't have to wait till march 2013!!

Good luck
MSD

Post by MSD »

I think the QM result is out at at the start of October. Not long to wait for that one.
sss

Post by sss »

Paramjeet
I think if the result in Oct is a bordeline one than it could be worse!

MSD
Obviously doesn't take long to mark these papers (& I'm assuming that The CEM Centre mark these papers in Durham)? Why are B'ham results coming out 2 weeks after QMs - probably more papers to mark?
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

On thing that is still a little bit unclear; once the scores are out, to what extent will the score tell if child will get into first choice grammar school
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Not sure about Birmingham - but if it's similar to Warwickshire they'll give you standardised score, and rank within the cohort who took the test. So you'd get something like (totally made up figures) standardised score 224, Rank 582 equal with 22 others. You'd also get information on the scores which have been required for the schools in past years. That would enable you to make an educated guess about whether you'd definately get a place (if the rank was below the number of places available), likely to (if the score was well above the historic qualifying scores), might (if it was close to the previous cutoffs) or probably wouldn't (if it was well below the level which had previously got places). So there would still be plenty of people in that grey area of might or might not.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Paramjeet

You will be able to get an idea of the likely scores required from the pass marks "sticky" posted on top of the B/Ham section.

However please bear in mind that:-

1. They (KE Foundation) may decide to revert to the old method of standardisation again (3 categories rather than individal papers)
2. Parents may decide to change their preferences on the PAF form as a result of "unexpected" good marks
3. Pass marks are dependent on the subscription level ration for individual schools (applications vs places) - the more who apply, the higher the pass mark

All of the apply could impact the pass marks significantly from previous years

Regards
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now