Sept 2012 Exam Content

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KenR

Sept 2012 Exam Content

Post by KenR »

Hi All

I've had PMs from a 3 parents with a outline of the content of this years exam which I will collate and publish after the reserve exam date and results come out.

Can I encourage parents to quiz their children about the content and send me a PM whilst the info is relatively fresh.

Childrens' memory is not always great, so I do need as a reasonable number of response to produce an accurate collation.

Thanks for your help and best of luck

Please ensure you do your research on previous scores when the results are published - also bear in mind that this si the first year that parents will know the results before they complete the PAF preference form so minimum entry marks for the various KE and cornsortium school may be different from previous years. Don't assume that last year scores will guarantee entry this year - make sure you have a back stop.
yasminahmad

Re: Sept 2012 Exam Content

Post by yasminahmad »

Hi

This will probably sound very ignorant of me :oops:
But what does PM mean?

Thanks
MSD

Post by MSD »

Private Message
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

There should be a pm button which looks like Image at the bottom of KenR's post. Click it (the one below his post, not the one in this message) to send a PM.
J.P.

Sept 2012 Exam Content

Post by J.P. »

KenR wrote:Hi All

I've had PMs from a 3 parents with a outline of the content of this years exam which I will collate and publish after the reserve exam date and results come out.
Can the test be taken late and offers made in the second rounds with B'ham?

In Warwickshire the same exam can be taken at any time, even in March. This will allow a child to considered in the second round. Sensible parents, who are out of area ensure their children sit the exam just before offer day and before appeals are heard. So, for Warwickshire, you should not publish questions until after offer day and appeals are heard.

Bear in mind it seems CEM exam questions do reappear in other papers (Walsall, Warwickshire and B'ham).

Then again if people have told you questions they would have told others. I have been told some of the questions types as well. Is it fair some people already know and others do not? Is it fair some people can afford a tutor and some cannot? What is fairness is open to debate.

I would say nobody should be sent a PM about questions to anyone on this forum about content (including moderators) until offer day, unless they can be posted on the forum now. There are no guarantees that information will not be passed on. Usernames are just that. We do not know who a person is or if they have a vested interest.

I don't mean to be rude or offend, but I am just stating facts. Information should be written down and sent after offer day to moderators in each region.

Of course your thread about past exam questions is probably the most useful thread on the forum.
KenR

Post by KenR »

I don't mean to be rude or offend, but I am just stating facts. Information should be written down and sent after offer day to moderators in each region.
We get questions and differences of opinion about this every year.

The point being that once the exam results and scores are published they can't be changed or varied by the odd child that moves into the region and happens to take the exam in Feb or March. In that situation, late exam takers can only be inserted on the waiting list - they can't displace a child who sat the original or reserve exams and has been offered (or about to be offered) a place.

Anyone child moving into the area is going to be subject to disruption with their education anyway.

We think it's a reasonable balance to publish after the final reserve exam has been taken. The reason being that tutors will already know from others pupils who took the original exams what the content is (some call all of the children in for special " exam content recovery" sessions). This site exists to help parents through the trauma of the 11+ and provide advice and guidance - particularly for those parents that choose not to use a tutor but go for a DIT approach.

We think on balance this is a fair compromise.

As I mentioned this question comes up every year
J.P.

Sept 2012 Exam Content

Post by J.P. »

KenR wrote:The point being that once the exam results and scores are published they can't be changed or varied by the odd child that moves into the region and happens to take the exam in Feb or March. In that situation, late exam takers can only be inserted on the waiting list - they can't displace a child who sat the original or reserve exams and has been offered (or about to be offered) a place.

Anyone child moving into the area is going to be subject to disruption with their education anyway.
You ignore those who miss out on a first round offer and are on the waiting list. Don't they deserve "fairness"?
Child A takes the exam during Sep, on-time. He scores 333. Child B takes the exam during Feb, late.

Assume the qualifying mark is 335 and child A is on the waiting list at third place. Well, he would be, but child B who took the exam late, and knew the questions (and covered more at school) scored 350. He would be higher in the waiting list and has displaced child A.

Assume in that year the waiting moved 3 places only. Child B gets a place and child A misses out. He is displaced. You do not have to move into he region to sit the exam late, not in Warwickshire you don't.

Remember, a lot of people in Coventry are out of area for some schools in Warwickshire. Knowing they cannot get a first round offer they would be foolish to take the test on time. Take it late, find out the questions and get in. It happens. Of course friends who have a place will tell others what is in an exam so their friends can win a place.

What ever the logic used, nobody should send questions via PM on this site to a moderator or anyone else until the reserve day exams are over in each region. Warwickshire has reserve date exams on Saturday and Wednesday. I don't know the dates in other regions.

I personally think no questions should be posted until offer day to protect child "A".
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

JP

Your point is valid - to a point. For whatever reason, we have not had sight of any decent feedback on the Warks 2009, 100 and 11 diet of 11+ entrance tests. So far, all feedback has been at best, scant, and at worst, vague.

PS, I wonder if those DP who fear disclosure of test content do so as they do not have full confidence in thier DC's exam perfdormance. Maybe, they should have more faith in their DC's abilities.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
J.P.

Sept 2012 Exam Content

Post by J.P. »

Well, if you look for the questions, you may find them on other sites. The Warwickshire thread is quiet as people visit other forums where there is no censorship ;) This is the most censored forum I have ever visited. I've visited a few.

The 11+ is a competition. Why disclose content to the competition? It is nothing to do with faith in your own child. Common sense dictates if you know the questions you can prepare and gain more marks and this could be enough to beat your own child. A few years ago Warwickshire papers were leaked and many children gained 100% - before CEM days.

So many Warwickshire children, sensibly, used B'ham and Walsall 11+ exams as free mocks. Some will take the Warwickshire exam tomorrow and some on Wednesday - especially tutored children, as tutors now know some exam content and are busy preparing their remaining students and then harp their students gain places.

In this world, the end justifies the means and as long as you play within the letter of the rules there is no comeback. That's life, whether you believe it is fair or not.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Optimist wrote:Your point is valid - to a point. For whatever reason, we have not had sight of any decent feedback on the Warks 2009, 100 and 11 diet of 11+ entrance tests. So far, all feedback has been at best, scant, and at worst, vague.
A fair amount of detail on the 2011's paper was posted here.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now