3d cube questions

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
westlondondeep

3d cube questions

Post by westlondondeep »

Any tips to help? We are having difficulty if the net is not laid out like a cross.
Okanagan

Re: 3d cube questions

Post by Okanagan »

I used to tell ds to identify the three faces he was most interested in. If they weren't next to each other on the net he could take one which was away from the others and sort of roll it round to get it where he wanted it by redrawing it (rotated appopriately) and crossing out the original one. Then it was easier to envisage the effect of folding on adjacent squares. It's easier to demonstrate by drawing than it is to describe in writing.
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

I cut out a 3D cube in both layouts so he could physically 'see' which sides met. Seemed to help.

(Later found out they dont appear in my region!!)
SEvans

Post by SEvans »

Is that a question like "Which cube could not be made form the given net?"

If so, what I told my children is to find which faces cannot be next to each other.
If it is actual dice, any two faces which can make 7 with adding together cannot be seen together.
Seeing the diagram opened up the cube, find three pairs which can never be seen together.

Usually the diagram is shaped four squares in line and one square each sticking out on both sides from the lined squares.
A net shapes like a cross, T-shape or can be other more complicated shape.
But the practice materials I have at least 4 squares are lined up, so this description is based on that kind of shape.

The rules are:
- The two squares sticking out each side from the lined squares can never face each other.
- If there are 4 squares form a line (row), 1st and 3rd squares cannot face each other.
- Again, look at the 4 squares in a line (row), 2nd and 4th squares cannot face each other.
If you find any one of the above pairs faces each other in your choice, it is the answer.

When same symbols are written on several squares, it will be more tricky.
In that case, when you carefully look at the direction of each symbol which may give you a clue.

My first language is not English so the above may not be described perfectly,
but my children's correct answer rate has gone up.
Hope this helps.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now