Pates-hype or truth?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
trampoline

Pates-hype or truth?

Post by trampoline »

Now I know everyone has their own opinion and favourite GS in Glos, so this isn't meant to upset anyone. We have visited Pates, Marling and Crypt so far and DS likes Pates the best.

Why is Pates so highly regarded and sought after over and above the other schools? I'm interested to know people's thoughts as we have a difference of preference and opinion in our house.

The exam results speak for themselves as they do with other schools. I personally think co-ed is preferable to single sex but again this is not for everyone.

Whilst we are all living, breathing and sleeeping 11+ thought i'd discuss it here and give the OH a break!
So come on everyone, (why) is it so special?
EmeraldE

Re: Pates-hype or truth?

Post by EmeraldE »

Well, that's a good question! I have two at Pates and none at the other grammars (do have friends with kids at other Glos grammars). My DS tells me what makes it special is the amount of things to do (CCF, clubs, latin, mandarin etc.), the teachers are good and they get quite a lot of freedom to learn independently, are trusted and respected as people (plus there are members of the opposite sex in their classes which they enjoy!). From a parental perspective it boils down to the opportunities and the ability of the staff to get the best out of each and every child. Although a long way off yet for my DS's, they have had a lot of success with kids getting into Russell Group universities and they encourage students to study overseas (Harvard etc.).

I am sure the other grammars offer a great deal (perhaps some other people will comment about them) but as to why Pates is deemed 'the top' I don't really know! They all have their positives and negatives (e.g. I would have loved my boys to do geology and have a swimming pool on site which is offered at Tommies but not Pates). Horses for courses, personal choice and down to what your DC passes for on the exam!

Good luck to all kids taking the test soon (and to those poor parents living on their nerves!)
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

I have a similar scenario in my house. DC was focused on the local GS until the open evening at Pates. I am seeing all the negatives such as time travelling, missing out on activities after school and having friends even further spread across the county. I was impressed with Pates but is it really that better than other GS's? DC liked the all weather sports pitch, climbing wall and the 'feel' of Pates. After having all the focus on one school I can't believe we are having discussions about Pates. Obviously the choice will only apply if scores permit however I'm also interested why Pates seems to be far more popular and therefore harder to get into.
DebP

Post by DebP »

I have also wondered about how my Ds would get on at Pates. (If he got the score of course).
I think he will get on fine at GS.
But i the pace much harder & faster at Pates?
Would my son struggle to keep up here whereas he would do fine at another school?

You don't know my DS! But the general question must apply to many children.
trampoline

Post by trampoline »

DebP wrote:I have also wondered about how my Ds would get on at Pates. (If he got the score of course).
Would my son struggle to keep up here whereas he would do fine at another school?

I think most parents have this doubt in their minds BUT i'm thinking if they get in, then they have done so on ability and will be on a par with everyone else. I honestly don't believe you can fluke a place and it's natural ability or hard work that has got them there. Maybe making this decision with CAT scores in mind too?
We can only do what we think is best for our DCs and hope we get it right! (If we're fortunate enough to have options )
4boysmom

Post by 4boysmom »

I think it did have a good feel to it. We have just taken our year 5 to the open day and the change in his attitude to work hard is now unbelievable. I think the confidence and pride they have in their students is the most notable difference. We couldn't help but notice all the magnificent artwork displayed everywhere. Then yes there is the climbing wall. The fact that children in only year 8 were confident enough to stand at the front of the open evening and speak.

My son has just been put on the gifted and talented register so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him now.

I agree also though it is a worry that there will be some extremely talented children there and maybe a lot will be expected of him.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

trampoline wrote:
DebP wrote:I have also wondered about how my Ds would get on at Pates. (If he got the score of course).

I think most parents have this doubt in their minds BUT i'm thinking if they get in, then they have done so on ability and will be on a par with everyone else. I honestly don't believe you can fluke a place and it's natural ability or hard work that has got them there. Maybe making this decision with CAT scores in mind too?
We can only do what we think is best for our DCs and hope we get it right! (If we're fortunate enough to have options )
If I have learned one thing in life, it's that hard work will outweigh ability for only so long, and in all cases a slice of luck helps hugely.
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote: If I have learned one thing in life, it's that hard work will outweigh ability for only so long, and in all cases a slice of luck helps hugely.
I have to say I agree with this. The biggest factor in intelligence is heredity, like it or not. Put that with personality, and you essentially map out the life of a child. The little early readers motoring through Biff and Chip before everyone else in Reception will not necessarily be the same ones getting a run of top grades at A level and a degree in astrophysics from Cambridge.

One other thing - the curriculum and exams offered at Pates are the same as at any other school in the country. There is not some magic 'other plan' for grammar schools which leads children down a different, glittering path. So there is a limit to which 'the pace' can vary: they all have to learn the same stuff in the end, and sit the same exams.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now