Do any GS or testcentres require proof of ID on exam day?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bravado

Do any GS or testcentres require proof of ID on exam day?

Post by bravado »

As the title suggests :D
I seem to recall having read somewhere, that some test centres or schools require candidates to provide id and more specifically, photo id when sitting the 11+ Did I dream this? lol :lol:
Essex doesn't appear to require it...yet :wink:
aliportico

Re: Do any GS or testcentres require proof of ID on exam day

Post by aliportico »

When we sent in the application form for Reading School last year, we had to attach a photo of my son. Can't remember about my daughter 4 years earlier.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Kendrick required a photo to apply
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

even if the child who turns up for the exam is the same one on the photo it does not stop a different child turning up to take the place at GS..
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

There's two boys with the same forename and surname in my son's year at school.
bravado

Post by bravado »

hermanmunster wrote:even if the child who turns up for the exam is the same one on the photo it does not stop a different child turning up to take the place at GS..
Yes you're absolutely right and we'd considered that, too. But it's one thing to do that and quite another, to send in a form and sign/declare that the photo is Master G Kneeuss of 167 Acacia Avenue, Snodbury, surely? One way you could potentially avoid this, would perhaps be if the GS were to be given copies of the photo on the application, or a photocopy of the application form, it could be cross-checked on entry in the new academic year? Not sure if it contravenes Data Protection, though, in so far as the areas where there's a consortium. I know my GS had a photo taken of each pupil at the start of the academic year 7 and 11, to form a "rogues gallery" lol! DD1 had the same in her 2 senior schools, too.

Golly - a veritable can of worms! I was merely curious, following a "ringer" conversation DH and I had on the way to the beach last week :D Hmmm, an interesting topic but I'd hate this to become a scammer's "how to" guide :cry:
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

warwickshire require a photo, which has to be signed by school head, deputy head or class teacher (and they do check!) to be attached to the application form. This is then included on the paperwork on the desk at exam time. ds thinks they looked at the pictures when collecting in the completed papers. As they had all the pupils from the same school sat together I think the kids would have spotted anyone sat in the midst of their group who they didn't recognise.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

One way you could potentially avoid this, would perhaps be if the GS were to be given copies of the photo on the application, or a photocopy of the application form, it could be cross-checked on entry in the new academic year? Not sure if it contravenes Data Protection, though
I think it probably would - if the purpose of the photo is to check identity when sitting the 11+, it cannot (under the Data Protection Act) then be used for a different purpose.

Quite apart from Data Protection, it would certainly be a breach of the law on admissions: "It is for admission authorities to formulate their admission arrangements, but they must not ..... request photographs of a child for any part of the admissions process, other than as proof of identity when sitting a selection test."
Etienne
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

I am sorry you lot, you won't pass for a 10 year old so no taking your DCs place :lol:

Wonder what I'd get?! :D
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

There were a lot of VERY blurred black and white photos on the desks at the late sitting of the warwickshire test last year!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now