Reading Boys late admissions question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

woodywoodpecker

Reading Boys late admissions question

Post by woodywoodpecker »

My son came 121st in the exam for RB, he was on the waiting list but did not get a place, he moved up to 8th place by early June but obviously was just too far down the list.

Someone has told me today that a boy below him on the list got a call last week offering him a place at RB...my opinion is that the information about the placing of this boy has been confused as surely this would not be possible unless somehow I missed a very important call?? If anyone has any knowledge or opinions on this, would appreciate it! I called the school at 4.05 this afternoon but the offices were closed..why do these things happen on a Friday afternoon?! Thanks
aliportico

Re: Reading Boys late admissions question

Post by aliportico »

Oh, that must feel horrible - you definitely need to get that one clarified, for your own peace of minds, if nothing else. I do know that a new boy started on Monday in my ds's class, after someone just didn't turn up the Wednesday before.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Best bet send an email to admissions they are very help.ful. Just had a quick look at policies and the waiting list runs through to January.

New boys do join at various times for many reasons, and they do have classes over PAN, so if a mistake has been made you have a strong chance of arguing room for one more. :) e
woodywoodpecker

Thanks Steve and Aliportico for very prompt responses. I have sent an email to admissions and will call Monday - just find it difficult to believe that (a) they would have chosen a boy lower down list and (b) that eight boys dropped out between June and now but hey, what do I know?
woodywoodpecker

Quick update - spoke to admissions, it was incorrect information (of course) about the other boy, my DS is 4th on list now. He is v happy in his new secondary school so I shall forget all about it as I had done from June this year!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Thanks for the update and pleased to hear your DS is happy at his new school.

I've decided that my DS2 won't sit the 13+ in January, he did ask, but as he is happy at his school and I feel the change (if he was lucky enough to be offered a place) would be disruptive.

Moving to Reading at sixth form looks an option, this year they took in 46 new boys into the sixth form.
woodywoodpecker

Steve, that's interesting on both counts. Are RB now taking more boys into 6th form then? I was thinking about the 13plus but like you, worried about the disruption and the major disappointment if he did not get in. I guess it's case of seeing how he is doing in his current school and taking it from there.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I think the change to Academy status has given Reading more freedom at sixth form and so they try to accommodate as many qualified boys as possible, and so benefit from the extra funding.

Transferring at sixth form and focusing on four subjects is a smoother transition than at 13+ when you would have to slot into a wider range of subjects including French, German, Latin, Triple Science, etc. Having said that the school are flexible and accept you might have no previous German or Latin, which switches to an introduction to Greek and Classical Civilization.

As you say wait and see
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now