AGSB-15 Sep 2012. General thoughts/feedback on how it went?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
WA15

AGSB-15 Sep 2012. General thoughts/feedback on how it went?

Post by WA15 »

Hi

My son sat the AGSB test this weekend. It's hard to get much info out of him other than VR was OK (his strongest area anyway), NVR was ok but hard to finish in time (guessed a couple at the end) and Maths was harder than expected, particularly a couple of Q's at the end (based on GL sample papers, although not his strongest area anyway).

Although relieved it's over (at least for a couple of weeks till Sale!), I feel more anxious now than before the test. He seems pretty relaxed about it all so hopefully I'll calm down soon! Now the agonising wait for the results starts!

Just curious to see how others felt and what their sons thought of the test.
Cupcake

Re: AGSB-15 Sep 2012. General thoughts/feedback on how it we

Post by Cupcake »

Hi, mine also sat this weekend. Didn't seem to go so well, said the NVR was hard & he didn't finish either section but he panicked over timings for some reason. Didn't finish verbal reasoning but seemed reasonably happy with the maths which he finished all except that last question. Unfortunately I think the emotional side of things took over for him even though we tried to keep him grounded about it all. It's a tough call when you're only 10. So at this stage i'm expecting the worst but the general consensus is that it was tough, especially the NVR, we can only sit tight and wait.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

When my son sat three years aho, he came out saying it was fine but hard.Only to start crying in the evening saying he had not finished either NVR paper ( he struggled with NVR from day 1).

He still managed to pass comfortably. They don't have to score 100% to pass :D

Good luck to you both, as you say its a big call to go through all that when you are only 10 years old.
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake »

Thanks for that Tiddlymum, unfortunately he told me tonight that he only got to q65 out of 80 on the verbal reasoning and had left another 3 so it really doesn't look good. The sad thing is he did a mock in May and completed everything and got really high scores so it's all just fallen apart when it really matters. Never mind :(
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Not finishing the papers doesn't necessarily mean they won't pass, just as finishing them all doesn't mean they will. Quality not quantity. I agree that it doesn't fill you with confidence, but it's not necessarily fatal.
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake »

Thanks Traffordmum, i'm trying to stay positive but bless him he's totally convinced he's made a hash of it. Just trying to lift him so he can approach St Ambrose and Sale next with some confidence.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Cupcake

He has done the worst one- the others he will find easier I am sure. So hard for them doing multiple exams isn't it. Just tell him to forget that one and think about the next. St A was much more relaxed I personally found the AGSB day a bit frenetic.

TM speaks wise- all is not lost :D

Good luck to Little cupcake, when is next one?
Cupcake

Post by Cupcake »

Thanks for the advice, this one is it thank goodness, don't have to go through it again :D
traffordparent

Post by traffordparent »

i was surprised at the chaos on saturday morning - having experienced the girls school entrance exam a couple of years ago and how well it was organised.

it would have been better to tell those in rooms a-f for example to approach the school from the hale village end of marlborough road etc

various dates for the results were banded about too

general opinion from those i knew was that the maths was particularly hard with only a minority finishing it, the nvr too with everyone i know having guessed at least 3

my son seems to have a mental block re vr - hope he at least did the paper!

good luck to everyone
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

I think their perceptions can be very skewed so try not to worry

There were kids that I know of last year that said the exam was 'easy' - I don't think any of them passed :?

It's honestly not worth quizzing them or reading anything into what they say - difficult I know but it's just a case of waiting now

I don't think we had a results 'date' set last year but we all knew what day they were posted as once it got to 'mid October', the publicised results time, parents starting ringing school to find out when they were coming :lol:

Good luck everyone!