Not what was needed!!!!!!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

harrydog

Not what was needed!!!!!!!!

Post by harrydog »

My DD has come down with tonsilitis, what terrible timing!

Do I see how she goes, seeing as there is a few days to go? Or am I best to ask CSSE for alternative sitting now?

Any advice gratefully received

Tx
jojo1

Re: Not what was needed!!!!!!!!

Post by jojo1 »

Oh no, how stressful. I would contact the CSSE in the morning and ask for their advice.,maybe they'll suggest making a decision Friday.
Good luck with what ever you decide :wink:
moved

Post by moved »

Make sure that your GP surgery are aware that she is due to take the 11+ and have fully documented her illness.

If a mild case I would recommend sitting just to get it over and done with. DD sat hers with a broken finger on her writing hand, she went with Calpol and was fine, if a little sore.

If she has a severe infection then she shouldn't be in a room full of children and will obviously not do her best.

Good luck.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

The CSSE advises that candidates should not sit the exam if they are unwell. I would contact them and let them know your situation. They'll be able to advise you of the process should you need to use the second date. You should probably get a medical certificate just in case. Only you can decide if she's well enough on the day. Some DC bounce back quickly from illness while others take longer. Is she on antibiotics?

I hope she's better by Saturday but if you are in any doubt, go for the second date. You only get one chance at this.
bravado

Post by bravado »

First-timer wrote:The CSSE advises that candidates should not sit the exam if they are unwell. I would contact them and let them know your situation. They'll be able to advise you of the process should you need to use the second date. You should probably get a medical certificate just in case. Only you can decide if she's well enough on the day. Some DC bounce back quickly from illness while others take longer. Is she on antibiotics?

I hope she's better by Saturday but if you are in any doubt, go for the second date. You only get one chance at this.
I hope she feels better soon, poor thing and poor you!

I suffered from severe and recurrent bouts of Tonsillitis all of my childhood and up until 4 months before starting university - having finally been given permission to have them out in the summer holidays before packing my bags lol!

More importantly, and totally relevant to this, I had Tonsillitis when I was due to take my 11+ but my Mum had to get a doctor's note for a re-schedule date, as I was totally unable to even think about getting out of bed, let alone coping with VR lol!

I don't know how bad your DD's Tonsillitis is, but I vividly recall how even a milder type can knock your balance about and lack of food makes life very hard. I totally agree with First-Timer's advice, especially the bit about only getting one chance at this...and you have to give it your all on the day. The DH has always said that the 11+ isn't like going to war, ie you'd have to carry on, no matter what! Whilst not desirable, there's an option to sit on an alternative day where a child is ill.

Everyone's different, Tonsillitis can range in severity - but ultimately, you know your child and be guided by your instinct, and what your GP advises.
Best of luck!
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

Still a few days to go and they can improve quickly but if in doubt be prepared to bale out. You will know if DD is up to it or not, trust your instincts. Fingers crossed.
harrydog

Post by harrydog »

Thank you all for the advice and kind comments.

She is currently "in bed" poorly so quite a bad bout this time :( Very unusual for her to be anywhere near her bed!!

Have spoken to the CSSE this morning and they were very helpful and advised me what I needed to do if DD still unwell on Saturday and what evidence to produce etc. Told me date and place of alternative sitting if worse comes to worse!!

Fingers crossed antibiotics kicks in the next couple of days and she's well enough for Saturday, I don't know if I could handle another week or so of 'waiting'!!

Tx
moved

Post by moved »

Poor you. Wishing her a speedy recovery.
JWMUM

Post by JWMUM »

Oh dear - how awful for her and you. :(
Lots of sense in the other comments - you've done the right think contacting the CSSE - I agree with the advice to document everything, and then go with your gut instinct. If they are offering another date/time, take it. You've come so far................
Best of luck to you x
bravado

Post by bravado »

I'm keeping fingers crossed...I truly know how you and she feel.

It's probably of no consolation whatsoever but as I mentioned above, I have personal experience of Tonsillitis and the 11+ and hope I can reassure you a little?

I was also tied to my bed and quite upset that I couldn't sit it with the rest of my class but there was no way I could have done anything. I had to sit it in the Headmaster's office 6 weeks later..all alone and I was terribly anxious, I can remember wishing I hadn't been ill. However, despite my nerves, I passed with flying colours! I remember like it was yesterday!
Some say to do it and get it out of the way because the stress of waiting to sit it later, is worse and can have a detrimental effect. We're all different and for some, it would be disastrous but I wanted to let you know that if the worst comes to the worst, and your poor daughter isn't well enough on Saturday, then all is not lost because I'm living proof that even the most exam-stressy, highly-strung person like me, can show the examiners what they're made of and come through it :D

I'll be sending positive vibes your way :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now