Tutor required for St Olave's entrance exam preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Locket

Tutor required for St Olave's entrance exam preparation

Post by Locket »

Hi
We are looking for a tutor to help our son prepare for the St Olave's Entrance exam.
Unfortunately our school is very anti tutoring, and whilst we know other parents are using tutors no one will actually admit to this!
His school offer excellent coaching for the Kent 11+ however we feel their knowledge of the St Olave's test will limit the preparation they can offer him especially with regard to the English paper. ( We live in Orpington but he attends school in Kent).
We would much rather act on a reccomendation than simply trawl through the internet and would be grateful for any suggestions you can offer.
Many thanks.

Genuine recommendations by PM only (private message) are acceptable - but beware of the possibility that someone who appears to be offering a recommendation may have a vested interest! Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'. (It's easy to report a possible problem: just click on the 'report button' - the red exclamation mark.)

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with caution. However, there are many long standing members (check the date of joining and number of posts) who make a valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering seriously (while still exercising a degree of caution).

If you receive a recommendation from anyone else, please exercise extreme caution!

Note also:
Tutors can found in the online tutor directory by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/directory

Institutional Course details can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... us-courses

Intensive Holiday Courses can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... ve-courses

Kind regards,

ForumAdmin
layla22

Re: Tutor required for St Olave's entrance exam preparation

Post by layla22 »

Hello Locket,
Can I ask when DS is going to do St Olave's test 2012 or 2013?
If 2012 it is a little late for a tutor, however for 2013 I can recommend a very good tutor, via PM, who is Orpington based.
Regards
Layla22
Locket

Post by Locket »

Hi Layla22
Thanks for the reply, he will be sitting in 2013 so I hope we are starting at the right time.
If you could PM me the details that would be brilliant!
Thanks
Locket
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

layla22 wrote:Hello Locket,
Can I ask when DS is going to do St Olave's test 2012 or 2013?
If 2012 it is a little late for a tutor, however for 2013 I can recommend a very good tutor, via PM, who is Orpington based.
Regards
Layla22
It might be late if it is 2012 for some children and it might not be for some children. It depends on individual child. The question is what is the foundation of the child at the moment? How is he or she performing in Maths and English? Is the teacher available? I can testify to you that children were taught for six weeks and nine weeks for 13 and 11 plus respectively and they passed in Bexley and kent but this might not be the same for all children. At least I know three children now who are now in Grammar school

When parents are advising they should remember that all children are not the same. What works for your child might not work for other children. There are some parents who are teachers, self tutored their children but do not disclose this in their posts that they are teachers either in secondary school or primary so please let us be careful about advice we give. Remember all children are not the same because it worked for A does not mean it will work for B, it does not work for C, it might work for D
layla22

Post by layla22 »

I have to admit I was generalising. I have never believed in tutoring just for the test. For both my Dc's I started working with them from year 2 ( Ds from reception). My ethos was to build a life-long love of learning, which would hopefully carry them through to uni.
Depending on the child you could possibly tutor for 6- 9weeks, but I would never take that chance. The St O exam as you know requires fine tuning of English skills to produce a composition with the required "success criteria". IMO that would take more than 6-9 weeks, depending on the child's level of English.
When someone asks for help on this forum I am sure they are aware that parents that respond are expressing their opinion based on their own experience.
working mother

Post by working mother »

Could I have tutor details in Orpington as well? My son will be seating St Olaves test in 2013.
tests

Post by tests »

Hi Layla 22, Could you please pm me the details of the tutor in orpington.

Many thanks in advance
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

layla22 wrote:I have to admit I was generalising. I have never believed in tutoring just for the test. For both my Dc's I started working with them from year 2 ( Ds from reception). My ethos was to build a life-long love of learning, which would hopefully carry them through to uni.
Depending on the child you could possibly tutor for 6- 9weeks, but I would never take that chance. The St O exam as you know requires fine tuning of English skills to produce a composition with the required "success criteria". IMO that would take more than 6-9 weeks, depending on the child's level of English.
When someone asks for help on this forum I am sure they are aware that parents that respond are expressing their opinion based on their own experience.

With all honesty, I do agree with your principles or philosophy. I do the same and I have been promoting this as well. Parents are taught in our educational seminars to start working with their children right from infant stage. We have been receiving very encouraging feedbacks from parents now. Most of tutoring work for 6 -9 weeks in year 5 is "top up" and fine tuning. Children who wants to pass St Olave's must have the right foundation in Maths and English. Then, the top up and fine tuning will now help them to pass the test.
gbs1

Post by gbs1 »

Dear all, I am also looking for a tutor for St Olave's entrance exam preparation. Is anyone able to recommend one? Thanks. :)
orpingtonDad

Post by orpingtonDad »

Dear All, My son is also due to sit for St Olaves 2013 exam. Can some please let me know if there is any good tutor around Orpington?

regards
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now