Just wondering.....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nicolajane1971

Just wondering.....

Post by nicolajane1971 »

As we are slowly creeping towards week commencing 15th October and this is our first 11 plus journey (2 more to go, ginormous gulp!), at which point does their 'result' become comfortable?

We know that the lowest scores are between 215 and 230 (ish) across all boys schools however, what is the range of scores that parents normally see?

I have no clue what is decent (and therefore gives a good chance) and what is more borderline and with a house move on the cards prior to March 1st, could really do with your advice!!

I guess what I really want to hear is a range of 'well if my DS got 235, I'd be quite comfortable/horrified/worried.......
sss

Re: Just wondering.....

Post by sss »

I think the way sd scores work than if your ds obtained 235 then you should be pretty confident that he has got in KECHB (if that's your first choice).
SD scores are fairly consistent year on year.
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Thanks sss, fingers crossed then!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Don't forget there is no guarantee that Durham will standardise the tests in the same way as last year - (each paper individually standardised). They may decide to revert to the old mechanism of standardising into Numerical, verbal and NVR as in previous years. The Foundation is not clear on this matter
MSD

Post by MSD »

I doubt they will revert to three way standardisation. As they propose to provide the last two years cut off marks, which were two ways standardised, it makes little sense to move back to the old way of standardisation. Too much work for them I guess :)

MSD
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I was at the KE Aston Open Evening tonight & the deputy head said that 'this year's results' were only a point different from 'last year's'. I assume she actually meant 2012 compared to 2011, but she was also implying that this would be a good guide to entry levels for this year (Sept 2013 Yr 7 start). From that I assume that the marking scheme/standardisation will be the same. We're not biting our nails this year - that will be next year's joy. All the best to you nailbiters!
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Turtlegirl wrote:I was at the KE Aston Open Evening tonight & the deputy head said that 'this year's results' were only a point different from 'last year's'. I assume she actually meant 2012 compared to 2011, but she was also implying that this would be a good guide to entry levels for this year (Sept 2013 Yr 7 start). From that I assume that the marking scheme/standardisation will be the same. We're not biting our nails this year - that will be next year's joy. All the best to you nailbiters!
Turtlegirl I was there too!!! Guess we will both be biting our nails next year then :)

This is the first time I have seen the school properly, even though DS1 has just started year 7 there. What a beautiful school!
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

I also think the scores will be given in the exact format as last year, otherwise the whole thing defeats it's purpose. Parents HAVE to have an idea of how to apply. Borderlines will obviously be nervous, but still in a more hopeful position compared to the lower scorers.

No matter what the outcome, rest assured that not getting a place at GS, is not the be all, and all ( I know it's easy to say when not waiting for results!), but I've seen several bright children not get in from DS school, and are still extremely settled and happy at their respective schools :)
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Hey reeyah! Will I see you at Bishop Vesey tomorrow or 5Ways on Saturday? I had to chose between visiting Camp Hill & 5Ways and the bus route won it (2 buses to Camp Hill from us). We just can't manage Friday night aswell. What a bonkers week!

I was very impressed by KE Aston. Their website totally undersells the school. I gave them some blunt feedback on that...
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Turtlegirl wrote:Hey reeyah! Will I see you at Bishop Vesey tomorrow or 5Ways on Saturday? I had to chose between visiting Camp Hill & 5Ways and the bus route won it (2 buses to Camp Hill from us). We just can't manage Friday night aswell. What a bonkers week!

I was very impressed by KE Aston. Their website totally undersells the school. I gave them some blunt feedback on that...

We have seen BV already Turtlegirl ;-). It's wayyyy too far for us :-(. I don't think there's any chance of DS2 getting into KECH, so not going to see it :wink:

I totally agree with you! KE Aston is breathtaking! I could actually put up a deck chair in the courtyard :D

Good luck with the rest of the Open Days.. I wonder if I brushed shoulders with you anywhere? We were there for the 6.45 speech...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now