Exam locations!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lottie78

Exam locations!!

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
Just wondering,
I was told today that some children took the 11 plus for Birmingham at Saltley school, is this usual practice, I assumed that all exams were taken at one of the ke schools. Not that it matters just curious!
Romart

Re: Exam locations!!

Post by Romart »

Hi, the deputy at Aston tonight said there are various locations for the test which could be at the school you have expressed an interest in or the nearest one to your home. She also mentioned that some students had taken their test at Sutton College so I imagine it's to do with the sheer number of applicants. She was very clear that it made absolutely no difference though, hope this helps x
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Thanks, we were at Aston tonight too!!
I did think it would be to do with numbers just thought it odd as assumed it would all be done through ke schools.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

*waves* I was there too!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Oh no! That is the second year running that I have wanted to see Aston and missed the open evening :?

Anyone care to share their thoughts? What is it like in comparison to the other KE schools? Any particular orientation e.g. Sports, performance arts etc? How did the Head and the teachers come across? What were the guides like that took you round?

Logistically, I doubt that it is really an option for us as I think it either needs to be our nearest grammar or with DS1, but would love to hear any views before we get the results :D

UmSusu
UmSusu
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thank you to the person who sent me a pm but I couldn't pm back - it said pm was disabled to this user.

Anyway, have not decided on schools yet as forms are not due till after results. We have seen both CHB and FW but never managed to visit Aston. What is the area and public transport like if DS was to stay for after school activities?
UmSusu
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I was very pleasantly surprised by Aston. Their website undersells the school. For instance, there are more clubs & societies than mentioned online and also the opportunity for 'enrichment' (non examined classes) in Years 9 & 10 eg Latin, Mandarin, geology, flash animation etc. There's also a school radio station, which my son, who has ambitions to be a journalist, loved the idea of.

The head & deputy came across very well and they stated that the expectation of the 6th form was to gain a place at a Russell Group university. I asked for a list of this year's leavers destinations, but they didn't have one available.

A very good big band was playing before the head & deputy spoke and there seem to be lots of opportunities for participating in music.

There is a good amount of sport, but I think that's a useful thing for boys! And there was less emphasis on football than I was expecting (which is also a positive thing for my boy, who prefers bat and ball games).

The boys were all very polite & helpful, and the teachers were very chatty. I liked it a lot.