Tudor grange vs grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
HappyRobot

Tudor grange vs grammar

Post by HappyRobot »

Our dcs have a good chance of getting into Tudor grange or alderbrooke.
Tudor grange is a good school and has opened a sixth form.
Our dcs friends are going there.....so it would be good to hear your opinions re why grammars are better than Tudor grange ....
hermanmunster

Re: Tudor grange vs grammar

Post by hermanmunster »

if you live in Tudor Grange catchment then you would have to travel quite a way to a GS so I suppose that is one advantage of TG over GS?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If we'd been in the catchment for Tudor Grange or Arden we certainly wouldn't have bothered with GS. I think it's reasonable to expect both to make a respectable showing in the FT top 1000 league table when they have A-level results to show. Alderbrook I'm less impressed by but it's probably still good enough to think twice about GS. You can squeeze an awful lot of life out of that travelling time.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Tudor Grange is a really excellent school - my only slight reservation is that the 6th form is new and so current pupils may be slightly disadvantaged in the first few years whilst they get up steam. Having said that I would always recommend that parents keep an open mind after GCSEs in year 5. Lots of different options available including transfer to Solihull 6th form college or even KE grammars.

I would have been quite happy sneding my DS to Tudor Grange rather than KEFW if we were in the catchment
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

One grammar in kings Heath is only half an hour away by bus from Solihull.

How many pupils study at Tudor grange? There are just over 700 at KECH for instance.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Paramjeet wrote:One grammar in kings Heath is only half an hour away by bus from Solihull.
still quite a trek - many in catchment are on walking distance
How many pupils study at Tudor grange? There are just over 700 at KECH for instance.
um

Post by um »

Obviously we are not in TG catchment so never had this 'dilemma' - but I am very happy with my sons' experiences at KECH; it is an excellent school and offers vast opportunities for able children.

Many children from Solihull and further afield make the journey, and, whether on green bus or public bus, will usually have friends from the school with them anyway.

However to be fair I would dispute that you can get to KECH in half an hour by public transport from near TG. We live far closer to KECH than those in central Solihull, and my boys usually arrive home between 4.20pm - 4.30pm via direct no.11 bus and a 5 minute walk up the road. So if we were in Solihull it would obviously be later - not earlier!
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

when did I say public, read posts more carefully please.

Green bus journey is 30-35mins both ways depending upon traffic. No changes and only same school children on board. Up-to date app shows where green bus is in case of pick ups, meeting child en route and delays. A real fantastic service for the first couple of years if child has not used the bus. Year 9 probably move onto public buses. Of course each family situation is different in terms of child having used a bus before and/or cost considerations.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Paramjeet wrote:when did I say public, read posts more carefully please.

Paramjeet - I must say if someone says "bus" then I would assume it was public. Otherwise I would expect they may say "school bus".
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

or even green bus...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now