SATS, CATs and 11 (12)+ HELP!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bumblebaby

SATS, CATs and 11 (12)+ HELP!

Post by Bumblebaby »

Please can anyone help me figure out if my DD is wasting her time going for a late entry 11+ exam for a Mid year entry?

We are moving from Cambridge to Grantham and are desperate to get DD into KGGS (Lincs). She will have to sit an exam in October and I'm told that because she is currently in Year 7 (and will go into year 7 at KGGS in January) it will actually be the 12+ exam.

In her SAT's she got:

Reading 5b
Writing 4a/5c
Maths4b

In her recent CAT's (at current comp. secondary school) she got:

Verbal = SAS 115 / ST 7
Quantitive = SAS 120 / ST 8
NVR = SAS 123 / 8

We've just started working on the BOND assessment papers and will continue to do so, But I wondered given her Sats and Cats above what her chances of passing the 12+ will be.

MANY MANY thanks in advance
Bumblebaby

Re: SATS, CATs and 11 (12)+ HELP!

Post by Bumblebaby »

Does any of that make any sense to anyone???
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

the average pint score for those entering KGGS a few years back was 31.9

this is calculated from:

Level 4b (expected level at end of KS2) is 27 points
4a is 29 points
5c is 31 points
5b is 33 points
5a is 35 points

Obviously this is an average so many will have got higher and lower -
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

Do they have spaces? If so, it is worth giving it a go!
Alex

Post by Alex »

I don't think it is quite as simple as predicting from SATS - I think if you rang the school or LCC they would probably say that level 5s across the board were a good indication - but actually statistically the numbers of children entering the Grammar schools with Level 5s in all assessed subjects is nowhere near 100%. Some of the Grammar schools use CATS tests as the entrance exam post 11+ and are then usually asking for Stanine 8 or above so that may be a better indication IF that is what this school use. You need to check with the school what the exam will be as there is no standard entrance exam past the 11+ in Lincolnshire - the schools use various tests and means of determining ability. The schools are generally helpful and willing to explain what tests they use and the standard they require.
Bumblebaby

Post by Bumblebaby »

Thank you! We will keep practicing papers and give it a go I reckon!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Just make sure you practice the most relevant papers as you don't have much time. Do you know what papers she will be given and who sets the papers? e.g. here in Kent GL assessment sets the papers so they are the best one to practise.

It's interesting because the CAT scores do not mirror the SAT scores. It would suggest to me that she was not taught the KS2 syllabus well at her primary school. The CAT verbal score does not fit with the reading score either. CATs are not reliable predictors of 11plus success round here.

Give it your best shot with the right practice papers. You will still have a right of appeal too. Maybe get an Ed Psych report if you are desperate to get into this particular school and your child does not qualify in the 12+ test?
lefol

Post by lefol »

Do find out what papers she will be tested in NFER/GL Asssessment papers or bond . Once you find out the type of papers , you can buy practice papers relevant to the test and use those to work with her, I am sure she will do well . Best wishes
moved

Post by moved »

Grammar children tend to perform better in the CAT tests as they have usually learnt how to do VR and NVR depending on their region. Think of the exam prep as intensive home tuition - whatever the outcome her English and maths should improve. :)