chatham house school, ramsgate

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest21

Post by guest21 »

Hi

I'm completely new to the 11 + so would like any info about getting in to Chatham House - especially what format are the tests. I know this is very open ended but I'm not sure where to start with preparing for the 11+ for next year!

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Hi there,

a tip, in the absence of anyone else replying to you at present,

If you scroll down the page to the 'SEARCH' and put in Chatham House,
it will show you what has been said about this school. You dont need to read it all, as it will show your search words highlighted.

hope this helps, other than that, you could pm 'Peter' who is expert in this area.

Good luck

Cindy

Post by Guest »

It looks as if Chatham House use the general Kent test (11+) papers. Your son only needs to score a bare pass; there is no preference given to boys with higher marks as at some schools. Most of the information on this section of the forum is therefore of relevence to you.

Basically there are 3 NFER multiple choice papers: Maths, Verbal reasoning and Non-verbal reasoning. Your son needs to pass all three. You can buy practice tests from this site or from WH Smith.

He will also be asked to do a writing task (about 45 mins writing time) under exam conditions. This will only be looked at if he fails the 11+ and his head teacher appeals on the basis that he should have been awarded a selective assessment, being clearly of grammar school standard.

If your son is at a Kent primary school he will sit practice tests in school the week before the exam. If not, you will need to take him to a test centre the Saturday beforehand. Provided that you put a grammar school somewhere in your list of chosen schools on the CAF form your son will automatically be entered for the 11+ and his school will be sent details, test papers etc.

If they are oversubscibed, Chatham House offer a few places on the basis of musical or sporting ability. The rest (after siblings, children in care etc) are awarded on the basis of proximity to the school. Since, however, they are not usually oversubscribed this is probably not of interest unless you live miles away.
guest21

Post by guest21 »

Hi

Thanks for that advice. It has given me some idea of where to start.
I'm sure I'll come up with lots more questions.

Nicky