Bucks Changes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
slough mum

Bucks Changes

Post by slough mum »

I'm not sure if I have posted this in the right place.

I am look for my DC to do the 13+ or shall I say entry into Year 9 for next year. There seems to be a lot of changes with some schools managed by Bucks CC and some admission and testing being managed by individual schools.

I have contacted some of the individual schools and details are still not finalised. This is causing frustration because CAF forms need to be submitted by the end of next month, and no tuition can be provided as we don't know what subjects they will be tested in. Don't know why they can't just stick to VR. There seems to be a mixture of Maths, English, VR, NVR, Science and Modern Languages. Where do we start from!!

Also testing is done in the spring term, so basically we submit CAF next month, not knowing whether DC has passed or not. They should give results first and then we should be submitted CAF. A very strange process.

Does anyone else have any update on the Bucks new process?
anotherdad

Re: Bucks Changes

Post by anotherdad »

slough mum wrote: I have contacted some of the individual schools and details are still not finalised. This is causing frustration because CAF forms need to be submitted by the end of next month, and no tuition can be provided as we don't know what subjects they will be tested in. Don't know why they can't just stick to VR.
Why do you need to know the process before completing the CAF? Do you not just put your school choices in your preferred order? If you elect not to apply to one of the schools after learning of the process, surely the people administering the CAF process simply ignore that choice on the CAF and move to the next one? When my daughter was in year 6, we completed the CAF before the 11+ results were known and when she didn't get the qualifying score, the first two choices (GSs) on the CAF were simply disregarded. I believe Bucks operates an equal preference system, so there is no advantage in "tactical positioning" of school choices on the CAF and no disadvantage to not knowing the exact testing process in advance. I don't know about Slough's CAF process so everything I've written might not apply!

As for your point about tuition, perhaps there is an advantage to schools not releasing details of the subjects to be tested? Perhaps some schools feel that the current VR-only process is not right for them at 12+ or 13+ or perhaps that the system's integrity is abused by the amount of coaching and tuition that does take place? I've no idea if that is the sentiment but it is a possibility.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

As I live outside catchment I think it would be best to know the criteria. Also my DC achieved a level 5 in Maths and a high Level 4.

If the process is that you need both level 5 and you are not able to appeal to the school then there is no point putting those schools on the CAF as I know my DC will not be able to sit the test.

Also we can only put three preferences on CAF, therefore it is crucial I have the above info before completing form.

Does anyone know whether there is or will be an appeal for testing withe the schools who manage their own admission.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Ah, I see. I didn't realise you are limited to three choices so I can see why you need to know the process.

As for schools' policy on appeals, I don't think anyone knows yet. They may just follow BCC's lead and give right of appeal.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Hello again slough mum. I noticed this point on the BCC website related to late transfer at 12+ and 13+ :

(1) If your child has not previously been tested for admission to a Buckinghamshire grammar school then academic evidence will not be required.

I'm not sure if your child sat the 11+ or 12+ in Bucks? If not, then there is no need to satisfy the minimum SATs level criteria.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Anotherdad - DC did sit the 11+ but not 12+ looks like they will need year 6 SATs. Silly though because DC has tremendously improved and is top in class. They should look at recent work, targets and sch reports.

Has anyone ever appealed with one mark away from level 5 and have been able to sit the test?
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

Slough mum,I have a close friend whose son sat a late entry test for a boys Grammar school in Bucks he had an English and a Maths test only, before he sat the test my friend enquired as to what he should do to prepare for the test, the school stated that they did not give out any past papers and it was not necessary to do any more than what her son was doing at key stage 3 at his school. She was very relieved as she did not want to go down the tutoring route.He did need to have achieved level 5's in the year 6 SATS,he also passed the 11 plus but they did not want to send him to the Grammar school then as they thought they were going to be relocated.He just went over the work he had been doing especially English and gained a very high mark.
If your child is top of the class now then if he is allowed to take the test you should have nothing to worry about. All schools should be surely following key stage 3 unless your child is at a Prep school preparing for Common Entrance.I hope this is helpful good luck.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Thanks MollyB

Its changing and it seems to be a mixture of test from maths, enlish, language, VR and NVR.

But first I need to see whther they will accept the level 4.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now