Opening the results

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FluffyD

Opening the results

Post by FluffyD »

Will you open the results or let your DC do it?

Mine has said that he wants to do it which will be murder for me as they are arriving on a day that I am at home....how can I sit there with them all day and not steam it :D

OH is adamant that DS should open it as it was all his hard work but then if it's bad news I think I need to prepare myself for him.

What to do???
Vic x
hermanmunster

Re: Opening the results

Post by hermanmunster »

FluufyD - the EGS results are not straightforward pass or fail letters....

sometimes parents have to undertake damage limitation - in this case by knowing in advance and dealing with the fallout when it happens. In some parts of the country the letters are confusing for adults - even more so for kids. I've posted before about my Blue Peter tricks on the envelope, glad I did it as DD got in the car - opened the letter - read the words " this is not the offer of a school place" and thought she had failed, fortunately I was able to point out the phrase "included in the group suitable for selective education".

have aread of this thread and get the scissors and glue ready:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... blue+peter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Thanks HM, will bear that in mind. Might use it in my argument with OH to steam and glue it without DS knowing!
Vic x
ginx

Post by ginx »

I'm going to steam .... but not tell ... but warn my dd if necessary (as likely). Remind her she is unlikely to pass because of fierce competition etc, to lessen the blow.

But I can't wait for her to be here!

I feel a little bit mean ... only a little bit!

Good luck!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Isn't it addressed to the parents?
I have no difficulty with opening such things myself and would tell the child so. They are only 10 or 11 and you are the parent. You decided if they would sit the test, fed them breakfast on the day, drove them there, mopped their weary brows etc. Just say, " I will open it as it is addressed to me, and you will be the very first person to know what it says."

Very good luck all of you. :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:Isn't it addressed to the parents?
I have no difficulty with opening such things myself and would tell the child so. They are only 10 or 11 and you are the parent. You decided if they would sit the test, fed them breakfast on the day, drove them there, mopped their weary brows etc. Just say, " I will open it as it is addressed to me, and you will be the very first person to know what it says."

Very good luck all of you. :)

I agree with Amber - at DC's primary school they were handed out the envelopes at school and told that they must not open them as they were addressed to the parent. I never gave any of mine the option, but if they had asked I would have said no.
scary mum
Tixylixy

Post by Tixylixy »

I've read with interest the comments made and completely agree with Amber. As far as I'm concerned, a 10 year old has no rights in this department, since, it is the parents who have had to deal with the stress, preparation, motivation or lack thereof and expense of this whole hellish process.

My son really didn't mind his father or me opening the letter, although we paid a mean trick on him by pretending that he'd failed and saying that we were disappointed with him. After feeling really guilty, we eventually thought the joke had gone on long enough and told him that he'd passed.

Cruel parents, I know!
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Oh tixylixy you are so mean! lol!
I opened his letter, it was addressed to parents of... so end of discussion.
DH is abroad at the moment so I called him and we opened it 'together' though he probably would have heard my cheer without the phone!!!!
x
Vic x
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

I have never told my DC when results are expected, so they have no idea letters are coming! I opened it and read it at home,by myslef and then told her in the car on way home. She said one of her friend's mum ahd brought it to the school and her friend opened it in the playground. I asked my DD if that is what she would have wanted to do. She was horrified and said absolutely not! I don't even tell mine the marks as I don't want others who may have scored less to feel bad or her for that matter.