Anyone else had enough of the 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2littleboys

Anyone else had enough of the 11+?

Post by 2littleboys »

Good Evening Everyone

I just wondered if anyone else is as sick of the 11+ as Iam?

My son (who will be sitting the two papers in a few weeks) has gone to bed so despondent today after getting 69/80 in his first practise test. His teacher told him that this is the easiest of the papers and that he would need a much better mark if he is to pass the "real thing". His birthday is in December. He has his heart set on the local grammar school and now thinks he has no chance of getting in there. It is breaking my heart to see him so unhappy that I cant help thinking why am I doing this. It has really knocked his confidence to get such a low(?) score.

Im so sick and tired of the whole bl**dy thing. My husband has said hang in there as there isnt long to go but I dont know if Ive got the strength. :roll:

Should I now start preparing him for the fact that he will not pass or let him think that he is still in with a good chance?

Any advice gratefully received.
Guest55

Re: Anyone else had enough of the 11+?

Post by Guest55 »

I think the teacher has been very mean - he's close to a qualifying mark and the practice tests are just that 'practice'. Can you see areas you could work on to get a couple more correct?

He needs to have a break for a couple of days while you build up his confidence -
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Dear 2littleboys

I think there are many, many, many that feel the way you do, myself included!

We are sitting exams tomorrow and in a way can't wait for them to be over - The anxiety has spread to the whole family and we just want our lives back! It's our dd who has her heart set on a grammar place but with the competition/tuition/scores we read about on the forums, its pretty easy to feel like it might not be your dd or ds who will be chosen.

My advice would be to ignore the teachers view on this one and not give up now that you have come this far, see it through and you never all the effort made to date will be worth it in the end :)

Good Luck!
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Good luck all from us in Gloucestershire.......it'll be over soon! And then what will be will be, and you can all start to make decisions.......thinking of you x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Oh dear. What a lovely comment from the teacher ... :(

The first test is generally easier, but it has 2 or 3 questions on it that are simply devilish. The one I have never forgotten is something like: "A teabag has many PERATIONS, and the missing word is FOR.

69/80 is by no means a lost cause, even on this paper. Those 2 or 3 awkward questions could have made all the difference.

Talk to him about how proud you are of him for taking such a scary test and for trying so hard. Offer up a treat such as a meal out or something a little bigger if you can afford it after the second test, simply to recognise the effort he has put in.

Above all, tell him that you will be proud of him, whatever the outcome, and that US children can get the same end result as GS children. It is all down to hard work and perseverance, even if the 11+ proves to be a blunt tool at the age of 10.

I wish him the very best of luck.

Sally-Anne

P.S. Blimey - so many fast typists have flown in on their broomsticks ahead of me. :wink:
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Thank you all very much. You have been very kind.

I will keep ploughing on as I owe him that much but like I have said I just cant wait for it to be all over (one way or another).

I have got something nice lined up for him (a trip to the Harry Potter studios-he loves HP!) when the last exam is over.

Good luck to all of you and your children too :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

2littleboys wrote:I have got something nice lined up for him (a trip to the Harry Potter studios-he loves HP!) when the last exam is over.
Please can I come too? :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne wrote:The one I have never forgotten is something like: "A teabag has many PERATIONS, and the missing word is FOR.
Too true - I also remember that question, and I would bet in a room of 100 ten-year olds, you could count on one hand the number that would know the answer! I've never known anyone get it right other than through a lucky guess!

So don't worry 2littleboys, ignore the teacher (what a horrid thing to say :evil: ), good luck to your DS with the tests and enjoy your trip to HP studios! :)
Marylou
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Sally-Anne wrote:
2littleboys wrote:I have got something nice lined up for him (a trip to the Harry Potter studios-he loves HP!) when the last exam is over.
Please can I come too? :D
That's what we are doing too. 9 days till our exam and then I can pass everything on to someone I believe will be sitting next year. Good for them but at the moment a bonfire sounds appealing
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

But 69 out of 80 is 86%. I always thought that any score over 80% is a good score for 11 plus and is what we should be aiming for.

Keep in there. Your son has got this far, so don't give up! As far as I'm aware
that's a good score and I'm confident your son will do well!

Good luck! xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now